From: Jeff P. M. Hultquist
Subject: Re: Why is Lisp too Big?
In article <·················@netcom.com> ·······@netcom.com (William Paul Vrotney) writes:

   From: ·······@netcom.com (William Paul Vrotney)
   In article <···············@netcom.com>
	······@netcom.com (David Pollen) writes:
   > Alternatively, people might think Lisp has too many functions,
   > but I don't think that this argument cuts it either.

Someone once told me:

	"The Operating System is everything that
	was left out of the language."

Comparing Great Big LISP with little tiny C ignores
the fact that most non-trivial C programs include
quite a large collection of library calls.  A more
valid comparison would be btween Common Lisp and
UNIX+C; and the content of /usr/lib is certainly no
less intimidating than the content of CLtL.

--
Jeff Hultquist                         ········@nas.nasa.gov
NASA - Ames Research Center                   (415) 604-4970
From: Martin Rodgers
In article <······················@wk206.nas.nasa.gov>
           ········@nas.nasa.gov "Jeff P. M. Hultquist" writes:

> Someone once told me:
>
>         "The Operating System is everything that
>         was left out of the language."

The Xerox PARC version of this is (from memory), "An operating
system is a collection of things that don't belong in a language.
There shouldn't be one."

My first computer was a machine with a 12K ROM for the system
software. I think that about 2K was for I/O, and the rest was
for Basic. Someone managed to write a Lisp that could run in
the 16K of RAM that was available at the time.

--
Martin Rodgers, WKBBG, London UK   AKA "Cyber Surfer"

If "One likes to believe in the freedom of email", email
················@cpsr.org and tell them you oppose Clipper.
This is a shareware .signature  -- please pass it on!