From: Chris
Subject: PC Lisp implementations?
I've been looking at PC/Windows 3.x based Lisp products and haven't really
decided which would be best for my needs.  I'm mostly considering GCLisp from
Gold Hill Computers and Allegro CL/PC (note PC, not CL) from Franz.  Does
anyone have any comments as to either of these products benefits or
weaknesses?  I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks,
Chris
······@mit.edu

From: Martin Rodgers
Subject: Re: PC Lisp implementations?
In article <······················@den.mmc.com>
           ·····@tigercat.den.mmc.com "Dan Britt" writes:

> object system and CLIM, though I don't know exactly when.  The biggest
> problem for us with ACL/PC is that it doesn't support multiprocessing.
> But I don't know of any PC implementation that does :-(.

You may have to wait for support for one of the platforms that provides
multiprocessing. Maybe there'll be an NT version of Allegro CL soon?

--
Martin Rodgers, WKBBG, London UK   AKA "Cyber Surfer"

If "One likes to believe in the freedom of email", email
················@cpsr.org and tell them you oppose Clipper.
This is a shareware .signature  -- please pass it on!
From: Karsten Poeck
In article <············@wildcard.demon.co.uk>,
············@wildcard.demon.co.uk wrote:

> You may have to wait for support for one of the platforms that provides
> multiprocessing. Maybe there'll be an NT version of Allegro CL soon?
If I don't got i wrong, ACL/PC 2.0 beta runs on 32s and on NT
From: Martin Rodgers
In article <······················@wi6a65.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
           ·····@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de "Karsten Poeck" writes:

> > You may have to wait for support for one of the platforms that provides
> > multiprocessing. Maybe there'll be an NT version of Allegro CL soon?
> If I don't got i wrong, ACL/PC 2.0 beta runs on 32s and on NT

I don't have a list of features supported by that Lisp, so I can't
say whether it supports threads and pipes etc. I might assume that
it supports some of NT's multiprocessing features, tho.

Um, did you mean Win32s, or was the "32s" a typo? Win32s doesn't
includes threads, and might not be supported at all now that Chicago
can replace it.

From: Bob Hutchison
In <············@wildcard.demon.co.uk>, ············@wildcard.demon.co.uk (Martin Rodgers) writes:
>In article <······················@wi6a65.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
>           ·····@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de "Karsten Poeck" writes:
>
>> > You may have to wait for support for one of the platforms that provides
>> > multiprocessing. Maybe there'll be an NT version of Allegro CL soon?
>> If I don't got i wrong, ACL/PC 2.0 beta runs on 32s and on NT
>
>I don't have a list of features supported by that Lisp, so I can't
>say whether it supports threads and pipes etc. I might assume that
>it supports some of NT's multiprocessing features, tho.
>
>Um, did you mean Win32s, or was the "32s" a typo? Win32s doesn't
>includes threads, and might not be supported at all now that Chicago
>can replace it.

It is in fact win32s.  I don't think there is any support for any sort of
multiprocessing -- I asked and would have remembered if they had
said yes :-)

Chicago is currently not capable of replacing anything of win32s,
other than advertising budget.

--
Bob Hutchison, ·····@RedRock.com
RedRock, 135 Evans Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6S 3V9