From: Locke
Subject: Book Recommendation????
I am new to the LISP language (studying for alomst a year) and have read
a few books on LISP. I am interested in hard core (excuse the expression)
programming using the LISP language. Most of the books that I have read
have gotten confusing about halfway through. I know this may have been
asked in the past but I would like to know what book(s) would be
recommended for a beginner on LISP?? Any responses would be greatly
appreciated...Thanks

Noel Caddy
·····@csos.orst.edu
From: William Annis
Subject: Re: Book Recommendation????
	In article ···@jadzia.CSOS.ORST.EDU, ·····@CSOS.ORST.EDU (Locke) writes:
> I am new to the LISP language (studying for alomst a year) and have read
> a few books on LISP. I am interested in hard core (excuse the expression)
> programming using the LISP language. Most of the books that I have read
> have gotten confusing about halfway through. I know this may have been
> asked in the past but I would like to know what book(s) would be
> recommended for a beginner on LISP?? Any responses would be greatly
> appreciated...Thanks

	First, you might want to check the FAQ.  It lists quite a few books.
The one's I've found best for beginners are: _Common LISPCraft_ and _Common Lisp: An
Interactive Approach_.  (Check the faq for the authors.)  Both of them are excellent
books, and both take very different approaches to LISP.  After you have a bit more
familiarity with the Language you might want to check out the 3rd edition of Horn
and Winston's _Lisp_.  It purports to be an introductory text but in my opinion
it is not.  The later chapters, however, are an excellent introduction to writing
larger programs in LISP.

	As to hardcore programming, I can think of few books better than
Paul Graham's _On Lisp: Advanced Techniques for Common Lisp_.  His is the best
discussion of macros anywhere.  It also is a neat read from an "artistic"
point of view: what he does with LISP, and how he does it, is just beautiful.

William S. Annis	·······@head.neurology.wisc.edu
Ofc: 608 265-5343 	       (······@yar.cs.wisc.edu)
Department of Neurology             Neurosimulation Lab