From: Andreas Paepcke
Subject: Tutorial on Metaobject Protocols and Open Implementations
    Tutorial:  Metaobject Protocols and Open Implementations
    When:  Friday, March 4, 1994, 8:30am - 6:00pm
    Where:  Xerox PARC Auditorium in Palo Alto, Ca.
    Fee:  $60.00  (for handouts and food throughout the day)
                  (payable in advance by check)

Gregor Kiczales and Andreas Paepcke will present the `dress-rehearsal'
of a one-day tutorial about making software systems more tailorable. The
ultimate goal is to provide programmers with the ability to tailor the
behavior or implementation of services as diverse as

  - programming languages,
  - operating systems,
  - databases and
  - window systems

to provide the functionality and performance profiles their applications
require.  The work we will be presenting is a synthesis of:

  -  object-oriented programming and design,
  -  reflection,
  -  partial evaluation and other compiler techniques.

For much of the day, we'll work in the domain of programming languages.
Later in the day, we'll turn to other domains, such as operating systems
and databases, to show the more general applicability of the work.  The
focus will be on general concepts, rather than the particular details of
any given system. Connections will be drawn to existing metaobject
protocols, both commercial and research.

An earlier version of this tutorial was presented at OOPSLA'93.  Since
then, we have improved the material substantially and continue to revise
it for future presentations and publication.  So please join us in this
somewhat less formal setting to enjoy a day thinking about systems
building, and to help us improve the material.

Food will be served throughout the day, beginning with coffee and
danishes at 8:00am.

To register, please send an email message to Susi Lilly
(·····@parc.xerox.com), including your US Mail address and phone number.

Space is limited, and will be on a first come first serve basis.

Brief biography of instructors:

Gregor Kiczales is the primary designer of the CLOS Metaobject Protocol,
and the implementor of PCL, the first high performance implementation of
any metaobject protocol. He is co-author of the book ``The Art of the
Metaobject Protocol'' which teaches basic concepts of this technology.

Andreas Paepcke is editor of the recently released book "Object-Oriented
Programming --- The CLOS Perspective".  He has done extensive work in
the use of metaobject protocols to enable language persistence and in
the application of object-oriented modeling and programming techniques
to problems of information access.