From: Tim Menzies
Subject: Very good Lisp text
old-timers on this group probably already know of Peter Norvig's
"Paradigms of Artifical Intelligence Programming" text. however, for
the new-comers like myself...

i've just spent a happy couple of days reading this text (946 pages).
great fun.  everything i wished someone could have told me about lisp
about five years ago.

the title stresses AI, but it has a lot to teach any lisp programmer
who has the basics of the language under their belt.  for the non-AI
lispers out there, isn't it nice to find someone who can tell you that
(e.g.) for hashing over tables where the key sizes are known in advance
(and don't change over time) then open hashing will do better than
Lisp's built-in hash-tables? oh, and the generic memo function is oh-so
elegant and a wonderful demonstration of the power of Lisp.

for the AI-minded, the chapters on GPS, ELIZA, and STUDENT are a great
romp. Bobrow's entire 1964 thesis reproduced in a modern language in 39
pages. very very nice.

the text is BIG. the above examples only sratch the surface. lots of
other goodies (e.g. the dcg parser: i'm throwing out my
convoluted version and switching to norvig's). and all the source is
available by ftp.

QUESTION: anyone used this as the source amterial for a AI programming
course? at what stage are students up to using this material?

--
 ,-_|\     Tim Menzies (····@cse.unsw.edu.au)      | "Fortunately, I say,
/     \    AI Lab, Computer Science, Uni. NSW      | fortunately, I keep my

                                                     "We have many sayings,
                                                      but no doings."
                                                       -- Anon.

From: Marty Hall
Subject: Re: Very good Lisp text
In article <·····················@usage.csd.unsw.OZ.AU>,
Tim Menzies <····@cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
>old-timers on this group probably already know of Peter Norvig's
>"Paradigms of Artifical Intelligence Programming" text. [...]
>QUESTION: anyone used this as the source amterial for a AI programming
>course? at what stage are students up to using this material?

The Nov 1993 issue of _Artificial Intelligence_ (Vol 64 No 1) includes
two reviews: one from a student's perspective and one from an instructor's.
The instructor (JH Martin) used it 3 times in a graduate level course,
and discusses several different types of courses that could be structured
around PAIP.

I use it as an reference (but not the central text) in my AI Programming
course in the Johns Hopkins part-time MS program.

						- Marty
(proclaim '(inline skates))
From: Andy Spooner
····@cse.unsw.edu.au (Tim Menzies) writes:

>old-timers on this group probably already know of Peter Norvig's
>"Paradigms of Artifical Intelligence Programming" text. however, for
>the new-comers like myself...

[...]

>QUESTION: anyone used this as the source amterial for a AI programming
>course? at what stage are students up to using this material?

We used it for a second-semester, graduate course in general
artificial intelligence.  I, too, was impressed by what one can learn
about LISP from this text.  But as an AI textbook, where the students
may not be all that familiar with LISP, the book comes off as a "1001
Tricky Ways to Make Your Code Compact but Unreadable" book.

The book is beautifully typeset (I think so, anyway) and well-written.
I'm no LISP expert, but to me it seems like a nice way to learn the
language.

Andy

Andy Spooner, MD                             |   ·······@informatics.wustl.edu
Medical Informatics Laboratory               |          ·······@kids.wustl.edu
Washington University                        |                 ·······@aol.com
660 South Euclid, Box 8005                   |          office: (314) 362-2128
St. Louis, MO 63110                          |             fax: (314) 362-5872
From: Chad Woodford
In article ·····@usage.csd.unsw.OZ.AU, ····@cse.unsw.edu.au (Tim Menzies) writes:
> old-timers on this group probably already know of Peter Norvig's
> "Paradigms of Artifical Intelligence Programming" text. however, for
> the new-comers like myself...

[stuff taken out here]

> QUESTION: anyone used this as the source amterial for a AI programming
> course? at what stage are students up to using this material?

Yes, I took a course last semester that used that book as one of two required texts.
The other book was by Matt Ginsberg and it's called Essentials of AI.  I liked them
both.

Chad Woodford
Clarkson University
From: Narendra Ravi
Would some one please post details of the book:

 1. Full title, author
 2. Publisher, year
 3. ISBN

 -- Naren
    Narendra Ra[a]vi     Email : ·····@cs.ualberta.ca

From: William Fitzgerald
Narendra Ravi (·····@cs.ualberta.ca) wrote:

: Would some one please post details of the book:

:  1. Full title, author : Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming:
                           Case Studies in Common Lisp, Peter Norvig
:  2. Publisher, year    : Morgan Kaufmann, 1992
:  3. ISBN               : 1-55860-191-0