From: ········@ukcc.uky.edu
Subject: Utah Lisp
Hi Folks,
  I've come to discover that our mainframe here has an unsupported Lisp
interpreter.  It is an implementation of something called Utah Lisp.  I can
find nothing in the FAQ about it, and Veronica has been unable to turn any-
thing up on it.  So, I'm asking if there is any one out there who can help
point me in the direction of on-line documentation, etc.  I'd also like to
know if it is an implementation of Common Lisp, though I doubt it.

*  Jason Stephenson          |    THIS SPACE FOR RENT--CHEAP!        *
*  ········@ukcc.uky.edu     |                                       *
*  HyperCard Guru, Macintosh Aficionado, RPG Theorist, etc.          *

From: Robert R. Kessler
Subject: Re: Utah Lisp
In article <··················@ukcc.uky.edu> ········@ukcc.uky.edu writes:
>Hi Folks,
>  I've come to discover that our mainframe here has an unsupported Lisp
>interpreter.  It is an implementation of something called Utah Lisp.  I can

I'm sure that if you give me more details I can figure out what it is.  Send
me the banner or something about it.  I have been here at Utah for a very
long time and worked on all pretty much all of the Lisps that would have
Utah on them.

Bob.
From: Eric Eide
Jason Stephenson (········@ukcc.uky.edu) writes:

	Jason> I've come to discover that our mainframe here has an unsupported
	Jason> Lisp interpreter.  It is an implementation of something called
	Jason> Utah Lisp.  I can find nothing in the FAQ about it, and Veronica
	Jason> has been unable to turn anything up on it.  So, I'm asking if
	Jason> there is any one out there who can help point me in the
	Jason> direction of on-line documentation, etc.

Utah Lisp is a dialect of Lisp that was written some years ago here at the
University of Utah.  Utah Lisp was developed a bit before my time, so I'm not
very familiar with it.  More recently, other Lisp systems have been built on
top of Utah Lisp:

    Utah Common Lisp		A CL implementation.
    Utah Scheme			An R3RS (?) Scheme implementation.
    Concurrent Utah Scheme	Utah Scheme plus parallel constructs.
    UCL+P			Utah Common Lisp plus persistence.

I don't believe that there is any online documentation for Utah Lisp.  As far
as I know, only Concurrent Utah Scheme has much documentation at all.

	Jason> I'd also like to know if it is an implementation of Common Lisp,
	Jason> though I doubt it.

Utah Lisp isn't CL.  Utah Common Lisp is CL, with most of the CLtL2 stuff.

For more information about any of these Utah Lisp systems, contact Professor
Robert Kessler:

	Robert Kessler
	University of Utah Department of Computer Science
	3190 Merrill Engineering Building
	Salt Lake City, Utah  84112
	Email: ·······@cs.uath.edu

Eric.

Eric Eide          |          University of Utah Department of Computer Science
·····@cs.utah.edu  | Buddhist to hot dog vendor: "Make me one with everything."
From: Richard Lynch
In article <··················@ukcc.uky.edu>, ········@ukcc.uky.edu wrote:

| Hi Folks,
|   I've come to discover that our mainframe here has an unsupported Lisp
| interpreter.  It is an implementation of something called Utah Lisp.  I
can
| find nothing in the FAQ about it, and Veronica has been unable to turn
any-
| thing up on it.  So, I'm asking if there is any one out there who can
help
| point me in the direction of on-line documentation, etc.  I'd also like
| know if it is an implementation of Common Lisp, though I doubt it.

I am reminded of my college professor who found a Lisp interpreter on a
tape for the accounting mainframe at Notre Dame [God (and Notre Dame) knows
why the accounting dept had this tape].  He snagged it and that's how we
got into Lisp.  Anyway, the docs I still have from it contain the following
information on their fronts-pieces, though the odds are slim that these
match the particular Utah Lisp you have:

Standard Lisp Report, J.B. Marti, A.C. Hearn, M.L. Griss, C. Griss
University of Utah, UUCS-78-101

Manual for Standard Lisp on IBM System 360 and 370 by John Fitch,
University of Utah, University of Utah Symbolic Computation Group,
Technical Report No. TB-6.

-- "TANSTAAFL"  Rich ·····@ils.nwu.edu
From: Fernando Mato Mira
In article <··················@lynch.ils.nwu.edu>, ·····@ils.nwu.edu (Richard Lynch) writes:

> Standard Lisp Report, J.B. Marti, A.C. Hearn, M.L. Griss, C. Griss
> University of Utah, UUCS-78-101

So, is Standard Lisp == Utah Lisp? I have been thinking about that
report since day one..

--
F.D. Mato Mira
Computer Graphics Lab    ········@epfl.ch
From: E. Handelman
········@ukcc.uky.edu wrote:
;Hi Folks,
;  I've come to discover that our mainframe here has an unsupported Lisp
;interpreter.  It is an implementation of something called Utah Lisp.  I can
;find nothing in the FAQ about it, and Veronica has been unable to turn any-
;thing up on it.  So, I'm asking if there is any one out there who can help
;point me in the direction of on-line documentation, etc.  I'd also like to
;know if it is an implementation of Common Lisp, though I doubt it.

Utah is a really old and obsolete mainframe lisp. I seem to remember the
defun syntax being something like scheme (or maclisp?), except
that you had to quote it (no fexprs or macros, I guess)
sort of like this (" was the quote character):

(define "(foo (lambda () (baz))))

I couldn't get anything to be accepted by the interpreter, even the
examples in the manual, which might still be available through
Concordia U in montreal.
--
Best email bet: ·····@phoenix.princeton.EDU