From: ·····@labs-n.bbn.com
Subject: RE: macsyma code
In article <·················@martigny.ai.mit.edu> ···@zurich.ai.mit.edu (William G. Dubuque) writes:

--> The MIT/Symbolics version was cleaned up considerably, especially when

I'm sure it was--I was only able to spend about two total months on
porting, and that was just to guarantee that it worked and didn't
produce errors.

--> it was ported to CL by Kent Pitman. You should realize that Macsyma
--> development started back in the late 60's before it was even known
--> how to structure large software systems.

yep, I knew that too. it's that dog-walking-on-its-hind-legs
situation...

--> example, the Grobner basis algorithm, which is fundamental for

Grobner bases are something I'd never even heard of prior to working
Macsyma. I couldn't begin to improve the algorithm, or probably even
understand it, these days.

 -- clint