From: Dr Van Baalen
Subject: Help learning C++
I am a long-time lisp and CLOS programmer trying to learn C++.
Is there a lisper out there who has already succeeded at this
task and would be willing to answer a few questions?  Email to
ยทยทยท@uwyo.edu.

Thanks,
Jeff
----
--
Jeff
----
From: Philip Greenspun
Subject: Re: Help learning C++
I'm sure you'll find the following story helpful in your quest to join
the legions of competent souls who are doing so much to improve the
reliability of the world's software....

There were three Common Lisp programmers sitting in a doctor's waiting
room.  All three were going through a transformation into C++
programmers.  The first guy had only been at it a week.

"What I couldn't stand was when he made me keep repeating 'If I don't
work 80 hours/week for $30k/year they'll replace me with a Bangladeshi
at 3 bags of rice/week'"

The second guy was about halfway through the process.

"You haven't been through anything.  That all seemed like a picnic
compared to when he forced me to only write programs that write over
themselves and the OS every few hours."

The third guy was just back for a touch-up; he'd been programming C++
for months now quite happily.

"You guys have no clue.  None of the preliminaries really hurts.  What
hurt is when he stuck a straw up my nose and sucked out half my
brain."

[Thanks to Kinky Tracy who told me this joke in 1982 at HP Labs.  Of
course it was men undergoing sex change operations but perhaps that's
a joke best left for alt.sex.bestiality.bark.bark.bark]

--

      -- Philip Greenspun

MIT Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
545 Technology Square, Rm 433, Cambridge, MA 02139, (617) 253-8574
Personal Web URL:  http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~philg/philg.html
summer address:  PO Box 952, Los Alamos, NM 87544 (505) 665-0131