From: Erik Naggum
Subject: Re: C is faster than lisp (lisp vs c++ / Rick Graham...)

|   (dotimes (i 10000)
|     (* 123.4 i)
|     )
|
|   each multiply seems to take 1.2 microseconds on my 25 MHz 32-bit
|   Explorer 2.

this is really _outstanding_.  on a SPARC 10, the following C program takes
3 seconds to run when given an argument, and an imperctibly small number
with none, i.e., 3 microseconds per operation.

main (int argc, char ** argv)
{
    if (argc == 2) {
	int i;
	double d;
	for (i = 0; i < 10000000; i++)
	    d = 123.4 * i;
    }
    return 0;
}

of the three Common LISP implementations I have running here, interpreted
performance for your LISP expression is:

	GCL	0.6 seconds
	CLISP	2.2 seconds
	CMUCL	4.1 seconds

are you sure you meant _microseconds_, not milliseconds?

</Erik>
--
Microsoft is not the answer.  Microsoft is the question.  NO is the answer.