From: Philip Greenspun
Subject: who prog. environment has Edit Combined Method?
A young (UNIX generation) friend of mine was just telling me how he
thought object oriented programming sucked because you couldn't tell
what code would execute in response to a message.  He based this on a
look at the latest Smalltalk.  I told about the old MIT Lisp Machine
"Edit Combined Method" editor function that took a class name and a
message name and walked you through the pieces of code that would
execute, in the appropriate order.

Mostly out of curiosity, does this function exist in any programming
environment for any object-oriented language?

Thanks.

--

      -- Philip Greenspun

MIT Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
545 Technology Square, Rm 433, Cambridge, MA 02139, (617) 253-8574
Personal Web URL:  http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~philg/philg.html
summer address:  PO Box 952, Los Alamos, NM 87544 (505) 665-0131
From: Lawrence G. Mayka
Subject: Re: who prog. environment has Edit Combined Method?
In article <···················@camelot.ai.mit.edu> ·····@zurich.ai.mit.edu (Philip Greenspun) writes:

   Mostly out of curiosity, does this function exist in any programming
   environment for any object-oriented language?

CLOS offers COMPUTE-APPLICABLE-METHODS, but this doesn't show you
exactly how the methods combine.  CLOS programming environments often
offer the illustration of method combination as an add-on--e.g., from
a generic function browser.

--
        Lawrence G. Mayka
        AT&T Bell Laboratories