From: Jeff Dalton
Subject: Annoying problem in Allegro CL
FORMAT can't handle a synonym stream, at least not if it's a
synonym for *terminal-io*.  Has anyone else encountered this?
Does anyone know a fix for it or a way around it?  (I could
imagine redefining FORMAT.)

Evidence:

flotta 49% allegro-4.2
Allegro CL 4.2 [SPARC; R1] (4/13/94 12:16)
Copyright (C) 1985-1993, Franz Inc., Berkeley, CA, USA.  All Rights Reserved.
;; Optimization settings: safety 1, space 1, speed 1, debug 2
;; For a complete description of all compiler switches given the current
;; optimization settings evaluate (EXPLAIN-COMPILER-SETTINGS).
USER(1): (setq aa (make-synonym-stream '*terminal-io*))
#<SYNONYM-STREAM @ #x34c992>
USER(2): (princ 12 aa)
12
USER(3): (format aa "12")
Error: Attempt to throw to the non-existent tag EXCL::PRINTER-ERROR
  [condition type: CONTROL-ERROR]

Restart actions (select using :continue):
 0: Try calling it again
[1] USER(4): ^\Quit

-- jeff
From: Jim Veitch
Subject: Re: Annoying problem in Allegro CL
Jeff Dalton reports:

> FORMAT can't handle a synonym stream, at least not if it's a
> synonym for *terminal-io*.  Has anyone else encountered this?
> Does anyone know a fix for it or a way around it?  (I could
> imagine redefining FORMAT.)

This is a known bug.  There is a patch available for SPARC Allegro CL 4.2
You can find all patches on the internet and also lots of other stuff
by reading the FAQ there.

The particular patch you want is patch0204.

If you have further questions on this issue, please contact ยทยทยทยท@franz.com
directly.

Jim Veitch
Franz Inc.
[From the FAQ]:

Q) Is there a public patch directory you maintain for incremental
patches to the ACL image? If so, how do I get to it?

A)
Franz Inc. Patches on UUNET

  The patches are all available on uunet:~ftp/vendor/franz/patches (==
uunet!~/vendor/franz/patches).  There is a README in the toplevel
directory which explains how to find and load the patches for your
version of Allegro CL.  As patches become available, the files in this
directory will be updated, so it is a good idea to periodically check
the particular subdirectories you may be interested in for changes.
The patch descriptions, which are admittedly cryptic, can be found in
each version/product/architecture's subdirectory in the file called
DESCRIPTIONS.  (This is all explained in the README file).

  To use ftp, the following is an example of how to access the Franz Inc.
the README file in the patch directory:

% ftp ftp.uu.net
Name: ftp
Password: <your login name>
ftp> cd ~ftp/vendor/franz/patches
ftp> get README

Here is the internet address for the machine where the Allegro CL
patches are kept:

192.48.96.9	ftp.uu.net