From: T V Raman
Subject: Online AsTeR Demo on the WWW:
Hi,

I'd like to point readers of this group at an online demo of the
system I built for my PhD thesis at Cornell.

AsTeR is implemented in Lisp-Clos, and I'd like take this opportunity
to thank everyone on this group for acting as my online lisp reference
as I built the system.

AsTeR --Audio System For Technical Readings-- is a computing system
that
exploits the display-independent nature of electronic information to
orally
render technical documents marked up in La)TeX.

You can experience an interactive  demo of AsTeR on the World Wide Web
at
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/raman/aster/demo.html

This hypertext document presents a collection of math examples
rendered in
audio by AsTeR and in Postscript by LaTeX/DVIPS.

It aptly brings out the power of the Web in publishing multimedia
documents:
none of my journal publications come with online demos.

It also emphasizes the display-independent nature of electronic markup
documents; both the audio formatted version and the visually laid out
Postscript were generated from the same LaTeX source.

--Raman
email: <·····@crl.dec.com>
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/raman/raman.html

--