From: Richard Smith
Subject: Re: PERL as a first programming language?
----------

The "Beavis & Butthead" version:

Butthead:  Perl 4 is cool, but Perl 5 is, like, even more cool.  Huh, huh.

Beavis:  But doesn't that mean Perl 4 sucks?

Butthead:  No way, asswipe!  Just because one thing is cool doesn't, like,
automatically make something else suck!

Beavis:  Yeah, Yeah, I get it.  But, like, why is Perl, like, so cool?

Butthead:  I think it's because, like, Larry Wall's, like, from Seattle
or something.  Huh, huh.

Beavis:  Yeah.  Huh, huh.

The "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey" version:

"Last night I spent the whole night on my computer.  In the morning my wife
woke up and asked me what I was doing.  I told her I was telling some guy
at Cornell why it's better to stay with Perl 4 until there's a really good
reason to switch to Perl 5."

"My wife told me she wanted a divorce."
| Richard S. Smith  | PROGRESS(tm) 4GL Developer | Monrovia, California  |
| ······@netcom.com | Holding my breath for V7.3 | Voice: (818) 303-7346 |