From: Rob Browning
Subject: What lisps are available/best for linux&OS/2?
I examined the FAQs for os/2, linux, and lisp, and I found that there
were no references to any kind of common-lisp for linux.  I also found
that
there were references to only two lisps for OS/2: CLISP and Procyon.

I wanted to collect information about any other OS/2 common-lisps (if they
exist), and _any_ available common-lisps for linux.

I would also appreciate any experiences with/opinions about the different
implementations (including CLISP and Procyon).

--Thanks.

From: Bruce O'Neel
Subject: Re: What lisps are available/best for linux&OS/2?
In article <··········@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu> Rob Browning <······@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

   I examined the FAQs for os/2, linux, and lisp, and I found that there
   were no references to any kind of common-lisp for linux.  I also found
   that
   there were references to only two lisps for OS/2: CLISP and Procyon.

   I wanted to collect information about any other OS/2 common-lisps (if they
   exist), and _any_ available common-lisps for linux.

   I would also appreciate any experiences with/opinions about the different
   implementations (including CLISP and Procyon).

I've lightly used CLISP on OS/2.  I'm taking a class and am normally
using the Student version of Golden Common Lisp, which seeming doesn't
have (SORT ...).  So, out came CLISP for test runs.

Likes.
1.  It worked, seeming quickly.
2.  It had SORT.

Dislikes.
1.  It's built with EMX.  While this in itself itsn't a problem, most
builds with EMX use the DLL versions of the RTLs rather than the
linked in versions.  I'm much more in favor of the linked in versions.
And while I could have built it from the source, since I wasn't using
it for a long time I didn't bother.

2.  The editor redefines slow.  This was made worse by the Golden
Common GMACS editor which is nice but insists on putting a ^Z on the
end of files.  CLISP doesn't like ^Z in it's input stream.  The whole
problem could be solved by installing gnu emacs, but once again I
didn't bother.

It works well.

bruce

--
"... make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong --
look what they can do with a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of
From: Kaelin Colclasure
CLISP and AKCL (ref. the Lisp FAQ) are both available in both binary
and source form for Linux from ftp://sunsite.unc.edu or
ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu.  CLISP is also part of the Slackware Linux
distribution (and possibly others as well).

OS/2... I don't know.  Linux been berry berry good to me.
--
// Kaelin Colclasure ---------------------------------------------------------
// EMail: ······@bridge.com            Mail: Bridge Information Systems, Inc.
From: Jim Grundy
--

I have installed CLISP from ftp://sunsite.unc.edu and it seems to work.
I haven't really tried it out though, because the only thing I want lisp

AKCL from sunsite uses an old version of libc, in particular the FILE
structure has now changed.   The binary runs OK on my system, but feof is
undefined and the crashes when I try to load or compile files in the HOL
I build with it.   Trying to compile the sunsite sources does not work.

The latest version of AKCL 1-624 from Austin seems to have linux support
built in, 386-linux is one of the predefined machine names.   But I can't
get it to build.  It builts raw_kcl OK, but the saved_kcl falls over
immediately with a segmenation fault. (Anyone with any pointers on this
who would like to help me? I would be very grateful, I pretty much bought
my Linux machine to run AKCL and therefore HOL, and I can not for the life
of me get hold of a working AKCL).

Jim

Information Technology Division        |
Building 171 Laboratories Area         | phone: +61 8 2596162
PO Box 1500                            | fax:   +61 8 2595980
Salisbury  SA  5108                    | email: ···@itd.dsto.gov.au
AUSTRALIA                              |