From: Martin Beck
Subject: lisp with ffi for sun-solaris2.x
Could anyone help me?

We have new sun's with solaris 2.3. On a old sun with solaris 1.x I
have a lisp-project with Lucid-lisp that uses the foreign function
interface. This lisp doesn't run on our new machines.
The result of a request at Lucid was -- they haven't a lisp for
solaris 2.x.
Does anyone know a compatible lisp with ffi that exists for
solaris2.x?

Martin

From: Eyvind Ness
Subject: Re: lisp with ffi for sun-solaris2.x
In article <··········@hpux.rz.uni-jena.de> ···@rz.uni-jena.de (Martin Beck) writes:

   We have new sun's with solaris 2.3. On a old sun with solaris 1.x I
   have a lisp-project with Lucid-lisp that uses the foreign function
   interface. This lisp doesn't run on our new machines.

Not surprising. The SPARC architectures are incompatible at OS level.
Your foreign code needs to be recompiled and re-linked.

   The result of a request at Lucid was -- they haven't a lisp for
   solaris 2.x.

Untrue. I've got a tape in my hands here that says:

Lucid CL/Sun Development Environment for SPARC with Solaris 2.x, release
4.1.1.

   Does anyone know a compatible lisp with ffi that exists for
   solaris2.x?

Also, you can try Allegro CL, CLISP, and many others. See the FAQ.

Eyvind.
From: Christopher Hoover
Martin Beck <···@rz.uni-jena.de> wrote:

>We have new sun's with solaris 2.3. On a old sun with solaris 1.x I
>have a lisp-project with Lucid-lisp that uses the foreign function
>interface. This lisp doesn't run on our new machines.
>The result of a request at Lucid was -- they haven't a lisp for
>solaris 2.x.

Sure they do.  We use it and we are shipping a product built with it.
Send e-mail to ·····@lucid.com for info.

-- Chris.
From: Richard Lee
In article <··········@hpux.rz.uni-jena.de> ···@rz.uni-jena.de (Martin Beck) writes:

   We have new sun's with solaris 2.3. On a old sun with solaris 1.x I
   have a lisp-project with Lucid-lisp that uses the foreign function
   interface. This lisp doesn't run on our new machines.
   The result of a request at Lucid was -- they haven't a lisp for
   solaris 2.x.
   Does anyone know a compatible lisp with ffi that exists for
   solaris2.x?

Whoever at Lucid told you that is ... well, let's settle for seriously
out-of-touch -- you _can_ get a copy of Lucid Common Lisp that runs on
Solaris 2!!  We are running copies of "Lucid Common Lisp Version 4.1" on
_both_ a SunOS 4.1 (aka Solaris 1.1) machine and a Solaris 2.2 machine.
(The banner for the Solaris 2 copy says it's 4.1 Beta.)  Lucid has
announced LCL 4.1.1 for _both_ OS's, and copies are supposedly in the
mail to us.

And, yes, it does have an ffi, which we are using to talk to Sybase via
C code; it works on the SunOS machine and is being tested on the Solaris
machine even as I write...
From: Marco Antoniotti
I know this could be a stupid question!

I have not had any chance to have a look at Solaris, but could
somebody summarize in a few lines what could be the difficulties
involved in porting, say, CMUCL to it?

Thanks
--
Marco Antoniotti - Resistente Umano
Robotics Lab		| room: 1220 - tel. #: (212) 998 3370

...e` la semplicita` che e` difficile a farsi.
...it is simplicity that is difficult to make.
				Bertholdt Brecht