From: David Whitten
Subject: Is the the right place to ask newbie Common Lisp questions?
Basically, I am reading some Common Lisp code for my own edification.
I don't have a Common Lisp on my system (a 286 IBM ...)
and I don't know if the code is referinng to built-in Common Lisp functions
or some Implementation's built-in functions.

I can read old Lisp and Scheme.

what is (declare ignore ignore) ?

what is &key and &aux ?

is (binding x y) a built in..?

more questions later (assuming I get answers...)

David ·······@netcom.com
From: Barry Margolin
In article <·················@netcom.com> ·······@netcom.com (David Whitten) writes:
>Basically, I am reading some Common Lisp code for my own edification.

Perhaps you should get a copy of "Common Lisp: the Language", or some other
Common Lisp book, for your own education, if you're going to be doing much
of this.

>and I don't know if the code is referinng to built-in Common Lisp functions
>or some Implementation's built-in functions.

>what is (declare ignore ignore) ?

That should be

(declare (ignore ignore))

It means that the local variable named IGNORE will not be used; it keeps
the compiler from warning about unused variables.

>what is &key and &aux ?

&KEY specifies a parameter that is invoked using a keyword (a symbol
beginning with ":").  For instance, given the definition

(defun f (&key foo bar) ...)

it can be invoked with (f :bar 'x :foo 3).

&AUX is used to declare variables local to the function.  It's equivalent
to beginning the function with a LET* that binds the variables.

>is (binding x y) a built in..?

No.