From: Paul Frederick Snively
Subject: SNePS Compilation
Folks,

I'm back.  Thanks to those who responded to my post about logical pathnames.
Unfortunately, both respondents thought I was using Mark Kantrowitz's (sp?)
DEFSYSTEM, which is not the case.  SNePS uses its own compilation system,
which in turn uses the portable implementation of logical pathnames from MK's
lisp archives.  The problem I was having was that the `portable' logical
pathnames don't work in MCL, and I couldn't just use MCL's builtin logical
pathnames because SNePS used a number of internal functions of the portable
version.

So I bit the bullet and rewrote my copy of SNePS to just use standard logical
pathnames, no doubt totally breaking SNePS portability in numerous ways.  Now
I'm faced with another problem:

In the compiliation process, one of the files--I forget which, but it's late
in the build--attempts to define-dispatch-macro-character #something in three
different readtables.  Unfortunately, in the sneps-readtable, # has already
been co-opted as a non-dispatching reader macro character, with a hack to
keep the standard Common Lisp # reader hackery working.  So MCL complains
when you try to treat # in the sneps-readtable as a dispatching reader macro
character.

Has anyone else compiled SNePS 2.1 and run into this, particularly on MCL?
Do any of the SNePS maintainers have any suggested workarounds?  Right now,
I can't see how SNePS 2.1 could compile correctly on any conforming Common
Lisp platform, since it's treating # as both a reader macro character and a
dispatching reader macro character at the same time.  Or was that somehow
permissible in CLtL1?

Thanks,
Paul Snively
·····@shell.portal.com