From: Thomas Trenz
Subject: Debugging under Lisp
  Hi,

  If this is a silly question, I'm sorry.
  I'm wondering how other people are debugging programs. Are there
  some other tools than TRACE, PRINT, BREAK? Is there a source-
  level debugger for Lisp?

  Thanks

  Thomas

From: Peter Dudey, Order of the Golden Parentheses
Subject: Re: Debugging under Lisp
In article <··········@gs-serv3.dfki.uni-sb.de> ·····@dfki.uni-sb.de (Thomas Trenz) writes:

     I'm wondering how other people are debugging programs. Are there
     some other tools than TRACE, PRINT, BREAK? Is there a source-
     level debugger for Lisp?

How about STEP and ERROR?  I haven't tried it yet, but it also looks
really easy to write your own debugger with eval-hook.

Now, can somebody tell me how to use the Lucid Common LISP debugger?
The stepper is AWFUL, because to step (which you'll usually want to do
lots of times) you have to do awkward key sequences like :n.  Or am I
missing something.

--
: Peter Dudey, ······@godel.cs.orst.edu, 257 NE 13th, Salem, OR 97301      :
: Oregon State University, Dept. of Computer Science   (MS student in AI)  :
From: Alberto Riva
In article <····················@godel.cs.orst.edu>, ······@godel.cs.orst.edu
(Peter Dudey, Order of the Golden Parentheses) writes:

|> Now, can somebody tell me how to use the Lucid Common LISP debugger?
|> The stepper is AWFUL, because to step (which you'll usually want to do
|> lots of times) you have to do awkward key sequences like :n.  Or am I
|> missing something.

I have written a Lucid Lisp stepper which runs in a graphic window under
LispView 1.1 . It has the same commands as the original version, but with a
nicer interface. There are some minor bugs, but it works...

If someone is willig to try it and/or improve on it, please contact me, I am
more than willing to distribute the code.

Bye,

				   Alberto Riva

				   ···@ipvaim.unipv.it
				   Department of Computer and Systems Science
				   University of Pavia
				   Italy
From: Daniel LaLiberte
·····@dfki.uni-sb.de (Thomas Trenz) writes:

     If this is a silly question, I'm sorry.

Not silly at all, but it seems to be a frequently asked question.

     I'm wondering how other people are debugging programs. Are there
     some other tools than TRACE, PRINT, BREAK? Is there a source-
     level debugger for Lisp?

I wrote a source level debugger for Emacs Lisp called Edebug.  There
is a CL subset extension for Emacs Lisp, including reader macros.
Edebug works with these CL extensions, but I would like to port it to
a full CL someday (job offers invited).

Dan LaLiberte
·······@cs.uiuc.edu
(Fight interface copyrights and software patents.
 Join the League for Programming Freedom: ···@uunet.uu.net)