From: Charles Fletcher
Subject: SGI and LISP
I am posting this for a friend and I know little about lisp, so I
would appreciate the help.

What is the preferred interpreter/compiler for SGI? She (my friend)
is running an Iris if that makes a difference.

She tried to get KCL (actually AKCL) running but couldn't. To compile
it, it wanted some header files from the old operating system, but getting
them didn't help. Maybe she doesn't have the latest version. If so, where
can we get it? (I will look through the FAQs, so if this is in there
please excuse the question.)

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

--
	NeXTMail to:		|	...to confer, converse, and
	·······@technosci.com	|	otherwise hobnob with my

From: Reggie Perry
Subject: Re: SGI and LISP
In article <······················@socrates.umd.edu> ········@socrates.umd.edu (Charles Fletcher) writes:

> I am posting this for a friend and I know little about lisp, so I
> would appreciate the help.
>
> What is the preferred interpreter/compiler for SGI? She (my friend)
> is running an Iris if that makes a difference.
>
> She tried to get KCL (actually AKCL) running but couldn't. To compile
> it, it wanted some header files from the old operating system, but getting
> them didn't help. Maybe she doesn't have the latest version. If so, where
> can we get it? (I will look through the FAQs, so if this is in there
> please excuse the question.)

	I got it to compile on our Indigo running IRIX 4.0.5F. I had a
problem linking because the 3.10 version of the linker had a bug that
prevented loading of the compiled object file. I also used gcc to
compile the system because the SGI C compiler died on me in a big way.
Gcc works fine.

--
-------------------
Reginald S. Perry -- University of Washington, Department of Physics FM-15
From: Kelly Murray
In article <······················@socrates.umd.edu>, ········@socrates.umd.edu (Charles Fletcher) writes:
|> What is the preferred interpreter/compiler for SGI? She (my friend)
|> is running an Iris if that makes a difference.

I evaluated Harlequin for our SGI's, and I would consider it the preferred CL
for SGI, if you don't restrict yourself to free software.

|> She tried to get KCL (actually AKCL) running but couldn't.
|> Thanks in advance,
|> Charlie

I believe CLISP also runs on the SGI, and would prefer it over KCL if
performance isn't too important.

-Kelly Murray
From: Larry Hunter
Charles Fletcher asks:

  What is the preferred interpreter/compiler for SGI? She (my friend) is
  running an Iris if that makes a difference.

I use (Franz) Allegro Common Lisp on SGIs, first on a 4D/35, and now on an
Indigo^2.  I use their CLIM and Composer (development environment) software,
too, and have been reasonably happy with both the implementation and the
quality of support.  Of course, it's not free.

Larry

--
Lawrence Hunter, PhD.
National Library of Medicine