From: Sunil Murthy
Subject: question about initsym, oldsym, allsym(Franz or UCILisp)
I'm forwarding a query to Lisp gurus. Please reply directly to her at
·······@cs.uah.edu.

I am porting an application written in Franz lisp on to
Mac Lisp and have run into a problem.

The functions INITSYM, ALLSYM and OLDSYM do not exist in MacLisp
(or other Common Lisp implementations). They are not documented
in  the Franz Lisp manual.

I am racing against a deadline and need some help on this.
Does anyone have any idea what these functions do? I'd appreciate
direct E-Mail to:

·······@cs.uah.edu

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Radha Murthy.

Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: initsym, allsym and oldsym (Franz Lisp or UCI Lisp)

From: Charles A. Cox
In article <·····················@infonode.ingr.com> ········@infonode.ingr.com (Sunil Murthy) writes:

> The functions INITSYM, ALLSYM and OLDSYM do not exist in MacLisp
> (or other Common Lisp implementations). They are not documented
> in  the Franz Lisp manual.

  initsym, oldsym, and allsym kind of do what the common lisp GENSYM
function now does.

(initsym 'joe) -> joe0
(initsym '(john 5)) -> john5

(newsym 'john) -> john6		;; increments the counter
(newsym 'joe) -> joe1

(oldsym 'joe) -> joe1		;; doesn't create new symbol

(allsym 'joe) -> (joe0 joe1)	;; all created identifiers between
				;; that used to initialize, and the
				;; current symbol counter.

Other companion functions are remsym, which removes all the created
identifiers; and symstat, which returns the counter so that one can
tell which would be the next created symbol.

	Charley
--
---
Charles A. Cox, Franz Inc.        1995 University Avenue, Suite 275