From: Bill Hogan
Subject: Re: compiler
 DS> I have chosen Lisp as my language to learn for a class project
 DS> but am having a hard time finding a compiler for PC's..My
 DS> instructor has offered to download any file that i needed off
 DS> FTP and was wondering if anyone knew of a good compiler for
 DS> Lisp that runs on a 486 based machine.If so could you please
 DS> respond back with the site where i could find this file and of
 DS> course file name. SANTOS

Santos,

 You do not specifically exclude Scheme, so I will assume that you
 include it in the concept "Lisp" and recommend xscheme by Dave Betz.

 I happen to have downloaded xscheme from the Compuserve cyberplus forum
 but you should be able to find it on any decent computer-oriented BBS.

 xscheme.zip includes all source code required so that you can compile
 it from scratch if you have a "C" compiler; I compiled it using Turbo
 C++ 3.0 on my 486DX without a hitch.

 Bill

BILL HOGAN

 * Origin: PCUG BBS - San Francisco HST/V.32 415-621-2609 (8:914/201.0)

From: ········@cid.aes.doe.ca
 DS> I have chosen Lisp as my language to learn for a class project
 DS> but am having a hard time finding a compiler for PC's..My
 DS> instructor has offered to download any file that i needed off
 DS> FTP and was wondering if anyone knew of a good compiler for
 DS> Lisp that runs on a 486 based machine.If so could you please
 DS> respond back with the site where i could find this file and of
 DS> course file name. SANTOS

>Santos,

The following is excerpt from ~ftp/pub/compilers-list/FreeCompilers*
on idiom.berkeley.ca.us
This document attempts to catalog freely availiable compilers,
interpreters, libraries, and language tools.

language:       Common Lisp
package:        CLISP
version:        ?
parts:          bytecode compiler, translator(->C), runtime, library, editor
author:         Bruno Haible <······@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de>,
                Michael Stoll <·······@rhein.iam.uni-bonn.de>
how to get:     ftp pub/lisp/clisp from ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de
                of Karlsruhe University and Michael Stoll of Munich University,
                both in Germany.  It needs only 1.5 MB of RAM.  German and
                English versions are available, French coming soon.  Packages
                running in CLISP include PCL and, on Unix machines, CLX.
conformance:    CLISP is mostly CLtL1 compliant.  It implements 99% of the
                standard
ports:          Atari, Amiga, MS-DOS, OS/2, Linux, Sun4, Sun386i, HP90000/800
                and others
discussion:     send "subscribe clisp-list" to
                ········@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de
restriction:    GNU General Public License
updated:        1993/03/10
      ____   __  __    __    __    ____  ____   __  __  __   __
     /      /   /     /     /  )  /     /    / /   /    \   /
 _  /      / | / |   / _|  / -   /     /    / /   /      >
/  /      /      |  /   | /   \ / --- / ---  / ---      /   \
From: Scott McLoughlin
Howdy,

Is is possible to get CLISP from a U.S. ftp site? I am particularly
interested in the DOS port. (DPMI under windows would be ideal).

Also, a repackaging (perhaps, bin + lib + src) would be very
desirable. My student account craps out on FTP's > 1 Meg or so.

I am sure that many student accounts in universities are set up
in a similar manner.

Anyway, I look forward to test driving CLISP once I can ftp it!

--Scott