From: Juergen Nickelsen
Subject: Seeking information about Symbolics 3640
At the end of the year I will perhaps be able to get a Symbolics 3640
machine. Since I know very little about these machines, I have some
questions:

  - One of the disk drives is probably bad. What kinds drives can be
    attached to the machine? Can I use standard disk drives or would I
    have to buy (probably expensive) from Symbolics?

  - A tape drive (QIC) is only on the other machine (a 3670, which is
    far too big for my apartment). Can I attach a standard QIC drive
    to the 3640?

  - What about other experiences? Manuals and software (tapes) exist,
    but nobody who is used to work with these machines anymore. Would
    you think it feasible for a (determined) novice to get the system
    up and running?

  - War and horror stories welcome.

(Yes, I know it soaks a lot of current. But winter is coming... :-)

--
Juergen Nickelsen