From: Chris Paine
Subject: Problems with Lucid Common Lisp 4.1 and SunView
We have a Lucid Common Lisp application which uses SunView to provide the
user interface.  The interface from Lucid Common Lisp to SunView is
written using Lucid's foreign function interface.  This was all working
fine under Lucid Common Lisp 4.0.1, but when we tried to upgrade to Lucid
Common Lisp 4.1 we ran into problems.  Briefly, we would be able to bring
up the system and invoke the windows, but after a few window operations
the system would fall other with a segmentation fault or bus error.  We
think that the problem may be something to do with some sort of
interference between the foreign function interface and the garbage
collector.  Has anybody experienced smilar problems, and if so did you
manage to get round them ?

Chris Paine                   (···@ist.co.uk)
Imperial Software Technology, Cambridge, U.K.
From: Chris Paine
Subject: Lucid Common Lisp 4.1 and X Windows
We have a Common Lisp application that we would like to interface with X
windows (it currently uses SunView).  I have looked at the FAQ and seen
that there several packages for interfacing Lisp to X, and many claim to
work with Lucid Common Lisp.  Has anybody used any of these packages with
Sun Lucid Common Lisp 4.1 ?  Has anybody got any recommendation on which
package is best ?

Alternatively, we could just hack up a foreign function interface to
mimic our existing SunView interface.  However, as mentioned in a
under Lucid Common Lisp 4.1 (although it works under Lucid 4.0.1).  We
think the problem is something to do with the interaction between the
foreign function interface and garbage collection.  Are we liable to run
into the same problem if we code our own X window interface ?

Any information or advice would be gratefully received.