From: Ralph Scott
Subject: Code Wanted: for game of LIFE and other cellular automata
I am writing a program that will generate music in a rule-based way by
interpreting the output of a cellular automaton in terms of pitch,
rhythm, timbre, dynamics, etc.  A simple, and one of the first, examples
of a cellular automaton, is the game of LIFE invented by John Conway,
in which cells on a grid mimic a simplistic biological ecosystem by
reproducing and dying according to strict rules based on the number of
neighbors a given cell has in the grid during any one generation of the
game.   (Note the term game might be somewhat of a misnomer here, since
there is really no winning or losing, or strategy involved.)

So if anyone could direct me to some existing LISP code for cellular
automata, or better yet, to code that already tries to implement in
any way the type of music generation I have described above, I would
much appreciate their effort, as I am not too familiar with where such
things might be stored on the net.

Thanks.

							- R.