From: Wing-kuen Chung
Subject: Re: A C++ class library that gives a LISP feel to C++
In article <·········@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov> you wrote:
: Announcing the first release of Lily.

: Below are some excerpts from the Lily README file (including
: instructions for getting Lily).

: Roger Sheldon
: ·······@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov
: w: (301) 925-0629
: h: (410) 381-9358
: -------------------------------- README ------------------------------------
: WHAT'S Lily?
: ------------

: This directory contains the Lily (LIsp LibrarY) C++ class library which gives
: C++ programmers the capability to write LISP-style code.

: I think Lily will be useful in academia for instructors who
: want to teach artificial intelligence techniques with C++.  The
: garbage collection mechanism employed by Lily is slow which will make it
: unattractive for commercial use.

: DISCLAIMER
: ----------

: This is the first release of Lily.  My hope is that lots of people will
: be interested in Lily.  If that turns out to be the case then I will gladly
: enhance Lily and its documentation.  But for now, I just want to get Lily
: out there and get some feedback.

: DOCUMENTATION
: -------------

: Documentation is minimal.  The "Lily User's Guide" (in file lily.txt) provides
: a good overview of the architecture of Lily -- the document is unfinished.
: All of the example programs are from Winston's book "LISP Second Edition" so
: you will be much better off if you have a copy.  Steele's "Common LISP"
: describes the behavior of the LISP functions.

: COMPILERS SUPPORTED
: -------------------

: Lily works well with GNU g++ version 2.4.5 (and probably earlier releases).

: Lily works with Turbo C++ for Windows but not with Turbo C++ (though the
: current version hasn't been tested with Turbo C++ for Windows).

: Lily does *not* work with AT&T's cfront because cfront does not handle
: temporary objects very well.

: If you try Lily on another compiler please inform me as to whether it
: works or not (see FEEDBACK) so I can include that information in future
: releases.

: INSTALLATION
: ------------

: Anonymously get lily-0.1.tar.gz from sunsite.unc.edu (152.2.22.81) in
: directory /uploads

: Uncompress and untar Lily:

:     % gunzip -c lily-0.1.tar.gz | tar xvf -

: To make the Lily library and all the examples just type 'make'.

: EXAMPLES
: --------

: The best way to learn about Lily is to examine the example programs.
: The example programs are Lily translations of Lisp programs found
: in the book "LISP", second edition by Winston and Horn.
: Most or all of chapters 17, 18, and 23 are implemented in the examples.
: Chapter 17: Symbolic Pattern Matching
: Chapter 18: Expert Problem Solving Using Rules and Streams
: Chapter 23: LISP in LISP

: COPYING
: -------

: Lily uses the GNU Library General Public License (see the file COPYING.LIB).

: Have fun!

Hi there,
I tried to get into sunsite and do ftp but the directory in uploads
complained about "unreadable."  Any clue?

Wing.