From: Vic Davis
Subject: List Element Writer -- Simple Question
Please pardon the bandwidth waste on a probably OBVIOUS answer, but ...
As a first semester Lisp student, I am building a 3d tic-tac-toe array,
by using nested lists ((() ()) (() ()) ...) instead of make-array.
Creating and printing such an kludge is straightforward.  What I
cannot seem to do easily is update a single entry. x(i,j,k) = new-value

It seemed that something like
   (setf (first (second (first board))) new-value) ; e.g., X or O
would successfully update the (1,2,1) location.  But using XLISP there
is a "bad place form" error.  I guess that my method of locating the
right element does NOT actually provide anything to be bound.

I am SURE that this is trivial -- but I cannot find the way.  Help!