From: AISS
Subject: A C++ class library that gives a LISP feel to C++
Announcing the first release of Lily.

Below are some excerpts from the Lily README file (including
instructions for getting Lily).

Roger Sheldon
·······@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov
w: (301) 925-0629
h: (410) 381-9358
-------------------------------- README ------------------------------------
WHAT'S Lily?
------------

This directory contains the Lily (LIsp LibrarY) C++ class library which gives
C++ programmers the capability to write LISP-style code.

I think Lily will be useful in academia for instructors who
want to teach artificial intelligence techniques with C++.  The
garbage collection mechanism employed by Lily is slow which will make it
unattractive for commercial use.

DISCLAIMER
----------

This is the first release of Lily.  My hope is that lots of people will
be interested in Lily.  If that turns out to be the case then I will gladly
enhance Lily and its documentation.  But for now, I just want to get Lily
out there and get some feedback.

DOCUMENTATION
-------------

Documentation is minimal.  The "Lily User's Guide" (in file lily.txt) provides
a good overview of the architecture of Lily -- the document is unfinished.
All of the example programs are from Winston's book "LISP Second Edition" so
you will be much better off if you have a copy.  Steele's "Common LISP"
describes the behavior of the LISP functions.

COMPILERS SUPPORTED
-------------------

Lily works well with GNU g++ version 2.4.5 (and probably earlier releases).

Lily works with Turbo C++ for Windows but not with Turbo C++ (though the
current version hasn't been tested with Turbo C++ for Windows).

Lily does *not* work with AT&T's cfront because cfront does not handle
temporary objects very well.

If you try Lily on another compiler please inform me as to whether it
works or not (see FEEDBACK) so I can include that information in future
releases.

INSTALLATION
------------

Anonymously get lily-0.1.tar.gz from sunsite.unc.edu (152.2.22.81) in
directory /uploads

Uncompress and untar Lily:

    % gunzip -c lily-0.1.tar.gz | tar xvf -

To make the Lily library and all the examples just type 'make'.

EXAMPLES
--------

The best way to learn about Lily is to examine the example programs.
The example programs are Lily translations of Lisp programs found
in the book "LISP", second edition by Winston and Horn.
Most or all of chapters 17, 18, and 23 are implemented in the examples.
Chapter 17: Symbolic Pattern Matching
Chapter 18: Expert Problem Solving Using Rules and Streams
Chapter 23: LISP in LISP

COPYING
-------

Lily uses the GNU Library General Public License (see the file COPYING.LIB).

Have fun!