From: Ralph gharbeia
Subject: Want a pc common lisp version.
	Well, as my Subject title says, I'm looking for a freeware/shareware
version of common lisp for pc's (msdos).  You're help will very
appreciated.  You can send me an E-mail to ········@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu if
you want.

Ten things you should do every day:

  1> Use a copmuter a total of two hours (games don't count).
  2> work on a computer program.
  3> Ignore homework.
  4> Appreciate nature in one way or another.
  5> Eat a big juicy steak.
  6> Call a friend or a family member.
  7> Complement someone.
  8> Do something romantic for your special person.
  9> drink a couple of beers.
 10> Oh ya, and if you have enough time, get some sleep.

	Internet address : ········@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

From: PERUCCI, PHILIP A.
Subject: Re: Want a pc common lisp version.
In <····················@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> ········@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> 	Well, as my Subject title says, I'm looking for a freeware/shareware
> version of common lisp for pc's (msdos).  You're help will very
> appreciated.  You can send me an E-mail to ········@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu if
> you want.

How about an operating system and fries to go with that?

If you have 150-200Mb HD to spare (IDE or well-known SCSI card), then I suggest
Linux.  It comes with clisp (COMMON LISP revision 1) and a subset of CLOS.

You can get Linux by starting with:

  ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/linux/slackware/README_INSTALL

 Phil Perucci, Systems Programmer   | "I don't speak for any organization
 ·······@imcvms.med.navy.mil        |  and no organization speaks for me"
From: Stefan K. Bamberger
In article <··········@nocusuhs.nnmc.navy.mil>, ·······@imcvms.med.navy.mil
(PERUCCI, PHILIP A.) wrote:

> In <····················@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> ········@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>

> > 	Well, as my Subject title says, I'm looking for a freeware/shareware
> > version of common lisp for pc's (msdos).  You're help will very
> > appreciated.  You can send me an E-mail to ········@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu if
> > you want.
> >

> How about an operating system and fries to go with that?
>
> If you have 150-200Mb HD to spare (IDE or well-known SCSI card), then I suggest
> Linux.  It comes with clisp (COMMON LISP revision 1) and a subset of CLOS.
>
> You can get Linux by starting with:
>
>   ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/linux/slackware/README_INSTALL

>  Phil Perucci, Systems Programmer   | "I don't speak for any organization
>  ·······@imcvms.med.navy.mil        |  and no organization speaks for me"

You don't have to install LINUX to use CLISP. There exists also a version
for DOS, which runs with a DOS Extender in real 386 code (GNU ...)
If you have enough EMS, it blows all commercials away.

*****  Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have! ****
Stefan K. Bamberger
Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI
Universitaet Wuerzburg                       voice : ++49 931 7056114
Allesgrundweg 12                               Fax : ++49 931 7056120
97218 Gerbrunn
Germany

email: ·····@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
From: Cyber Surfer
In article <··················@wina66.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>,
·····@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de (Stefan K. Bamberger) writes:

> You don't have to install LINUX to use CLISP. There exists also a version
> for DOS, which runs with a DOS Extender in real 386 code (GNU ...)
> If you have enough EMS, it blows all commercials away.

Except that you can't get it to run inside a DOS session within
Windows. Someday I'll have to FTP the source code and recompile
it with Symantec C++, as that can produce 32 bit code and includes
a DOS extender and Win32s.

The only other negative thing I can think of is that the editor
is painfully slow in the version I have. Hopefully the latest
version has improved this.

CLISP is much cheaper than any commercial CL for DOS or Windows,
but you can get a much more complete system and even produce
stand alone programs with some Lisps. CLISP doesn't do that,
tho you could also FTP a Lisp to C compiler, if that can do
the same thing for you.

Martin Rodgers

--- Cyber Surfing on CIX ---