From: Robert Sleator
Subject: question about gmacs and lisp
I'm looking for a Lisp application that lets me extend gmacs capabilities
by writing Lisp scripts.  I am aware of ilisp and cl-shell, but am unsure
whether these are intended to allow you to edit lisp in gmacs or to modify
gmacs in lisp.  I am interested in the later.

Specifically, what I would like to do is write some Lisp extension to gmacs
that would allow me to munge in various ways a text file under edit in gmacs.
I have written a few such applications using Interleaf Lisp, which manipulate
the text of a document, and would like to do similar things to a text file
under gmacs.  An example of the sort of application I am interested in writing
would be a spell checker, although I don't actually want to write a spell checker.
My idea is that gmacs will provide a framework and user interface, and provide the
hooks into the Lisp programs.

Is either ilisp or cl-shell appropriate for this application ?  Is there something
else that is more appropriate ?  Is using gmacs a silly idea in the first place
(i.e., for this application - I don't want to start a religious war over editors) ?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Robert Sleator
···@sequent.com
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: question about gmacs and lisp
In article <·····················@sequent.com> ···@sequent.com (Robert Sleator) writes:
>I'm looking for a Lisp application that lets me extend gmacs capabilities
>by writing Lisp scripts.

GNU Emacs contains a built-in Lisp interpreter specifically for doing this.
In fact, much of Emacs is written in this Lisp.  You can purchase the GNU
Emacs Lisp Reference Manual from the Free Software Foundation (good
technical bookstores should also have it), or FTP it from prep.ai.mit.edu
in pub/gnu/elisp-manual-1.03.tar.z (you'll need gzip, also available in
this directory, to uncompress this).

Or am I completely misunderstanding your question?