From: Kamon Yishay
Subject: calling an external program
Hello everybody !

I use CMU-cl, and I have the following problem :

I want to activate, from a Lisp program, an external command.
(something similar to "system" command in C).
The command I want to activate is "rsh machine-name env prog-name",
which should run a C program on a remote machine.

Is there any simple way to do it ?
Is there any way to do it ?

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

--

Yishay Kamon
--

Yishay Kamon
M.sc.
From: Dan Kahn
Subject: Re: calling an external program
In article <·····················@wisipc.weizmann.ac.il>, ······@wiscon.weizmann.ac.il (Kamon Yishay) writes:

|> Hello everybody !
|>
|> I use CMU-cl, and I have the following problem :
|>
|> I want to activate, from a Lisp program, an external command.
|> (something similar to "system" command in C).
|> The command I want to activate is "rsh machine-name env prog-name",
|> which should run a C program on a remote machine.
|>
|> Is there any simple way to do it ?
|> Is there any way to do it ?

There is a simple command called run-program in cmu-cl that lets you run
programs (which don't necessarily have to be written in C, of course) and
send them input and get their output.  It has many options, all of which
are in the doc string, but you may want to print a copy of the
documentation for cmu-cl.

To get the doc string type

(describe 'run-program)

in cmu-cl.