From: JOHN B. KIM
Subject: Debugging In Common Lisp (Need Help)
Hey, y'all.

If a function terminates in error, how can I see a list of the names of
the functions that were called?  In Franz Lisp, it was (showstack).

Also, how do I edit a file from the interpreter, and have it
automatically loaded when I quit editor?  It Franz Lisp, it was (vil).

I looked through FAQ and my Steele's _Common_Lisp_, but couldn't find
anything helpful.  BTW, I think the book sucks.

(thanks)

--

   John Kim               School, TV and my mother are entirely
                          responsible for what I wrote above.

From: Patrick Tufts
Subject: Re: Debugging In Common Lisp (Need Help)
···@cs.umass.edu (JOHN B. KIM) writes:

>Hey, y'all.

>If a function terminates in error, how can I see a list of the names of
>the functions that were called?  In Franz Lisp, it was (showstack).

In Lucid Common Lisp, you can see what called the current function
with the ":B" option.  Type "?" when in the debugger for a full list
of commands.

>Also, how do I edit a file from the interpreter, and have it
>automatically loaded when I quit editor?  It Franz Lisp, it was (vil).

You can run Lisp from Emacs using "M-x run-lisp".  Then, if you make
any changes to the source while in the editor, you can load that
function by positioning the cursor on it and typing "C-M-x".

>I looked through FAQ and my Steele's _Common_Lisp_, but couldn't find
>anything helpful.  BTW, I think the book sucks.

Thanks for sharing.  Now go 'way.

From: Dan Kahn
In article <············@ymir.cs.umass.edu>, ···@···············@cs.umass.edu (JOHN B. KIM) writes:
|> Hey, y'all.
|>
|> If a function terminates in error, how can I see a list of the names of
|> the functions that were called?  In Franz Lisp, it was (showstack).

I think that this is an implementation dependent thing.  Since you haven't said
which implementation of Common Lisp you are using it's difficult to answer your
question.  You should check the manual that came with your implementation.

|> Also, how do I edit a file from the interpreter, and have it
|> automatically loaded when I quit editor?  It Franz Lisp, it was (vil).

If you've got the 2nd edition of Steele's boot you need to see page 699.  Read
the bit about the ed function.  It's listed in the index under "ed" and "editor".

--dan
From: Pete Halverson
In article <············@ymir.cs.umass.edu> ···@cs.umass.edu (JOHN B. KIM) writes:
>If a function terminates in error, how can I see a list of the names of
>the functions that were called?  In Franz Lisp, it was (showstack).

Depends on your CL implementation (it's not defined in the standard; a
development environment based on a graphical-windowing substrate might have
quite a different debugging interface than one using strictly TTY i/o).
Some possibilities, since you don't say what you're running:

   Allegro: ":bt"
   Lucid:   ":b"
   Genera:  "C-b"
   MCL:     command-/ to get to the debugger window, then "show frames" (?)
   Harlequin, AKCL: can't remember

>Also, how do I edit a file from the interpreter, and have it automatically
>loaded when I quit editor?  It Franz Lisp, it was (vil).

Also implementation-dependent.  Most Lisp environments these days have
either a built-in editor (MCL, Lucid), or, more frequently, interfaces to
existing editors like Emacs or vi that address this sort of thing.  I think
there's an "ed" function defined in CL, but I've never used it; you might
see what it does in your implementation.

>I looked through FAQ and my Steele's _Common_Lisp_, but couldn't find
>anything helpful.

Try the documentation for your Lisp implementation.

> BTW, I think the book sucks.

In general, or because it didn't address your questions?  If the latter,
your disdain is somewhat misplaced, given the specific issues you were
dealing with; if the former, that's surprising, since I've personally not
seen *any* reference document, for any software product or system, that
comes close to CLTL in terms of readability, completeness, layout, and
tone.

Pete Halverson                                      INET: ·········@crd.ge.com
GE Corporate R&D Center                       UUCP: uunet!crd.ge.com!halverson
Schenectady, NY