From: Chris Russell
Subject: WANTED/FORSALE: Symbolics
I am a student at Cal Poly Pomona and just purchased a Symbolics 3640.
I wanted a LISP computer for rapid development of Neural Network research
code, but unfortunately the 3640 is a 20 amp machine.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to upgrade this to a machine
more appropriate for "home use?"  (ie: perhaps using the Ivory chipset)
Is such an upgrade available, and what is a good contact at Symbolics
for educational purchases/support.

In other words, I would like to get a slimmer Symbolics and sell the one
I have now.  Any suggestions?

Question #2: Does it take a special Symbolics to support X Windows, or is
it supported automatically by Genera 8?

Question #3: Where is a good forum to post these sort of questions?  I
couldn't find any for the Symbolics specifically.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions...

Chris Russell
Internet:  ········@netcom.com (preferred)
           ········@csupomona.edu
From: Bill Myers
Subject: Re: WANTED/FORSALE: Symbolics
I used to have a Symbolics 3640 at home.  They claim that it draws 20
Amps, but that shouldn't stop you.  I took mine home and just changed
the twist-lock electrical plug with a standard 3-prong from a hardware
store.  This worked just fine for me.

I had an old version of CLX from International Lisp Associates (ILA)
which worked with Genera 7.2.

Of course, getting a 3620, is a smaller option.  You might be able to
get a used MacIvory cheap.  But, don't let a little thing like a
screwy power cord stop you!

--
    ~~~       Here's lookin' at ya.