From: Steven L. Smith
Subject: Numbers on binary stream
	I am trying to find a Common Lisp way,if possible, or SCL way if
not, to write and read an arbitrary number of bytes using a binary
stream. Using write-byte combined with the ldb and dpb functions works
with integers, and strings can be sent using the char-int conversion.
I have converted floating point numbers to 32 bit integers with the
containing the underlying sign exponent mantissa construction and then
sent them as integers - to be read in as a float. The problem seems to
be that write-byte takes only integers as an argument and then only
handles one byte

Ideally what is needed is the ability to write and read bytes to and
from the stream the way it is done in C, by assigning values to the
fields of a variable of some structured type, and writing to the stream
with a command that perhaps uses the address of thevariable and its byte
size. Reading would be done similarly.

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Steve Smith                          | Internet: ·····@icat.larc.nasa.gov
NASA Langley Research Center         |           ·········@larc.nasa.gov
M/S 152                              | Voice: (804) 864-2004