From: Christopher J. Vogt
Subject: readtable question - sanity check
I'm trying to change the readtable in such a way that it ignores certain
characters, but such that those characters do not start a new token.  I
just want to be able to read in such a way that certain characters are
invisible.  As near as I can tell, this cannot be done.  The only solution
I have is to read in the text, remove the offending characters, and then
read the text.  Not as efficient as I had hoped.

I'm I missing something?  Thanks.

--
Christopher J. Vogt ····@netcom.COM
From: El Eh, CA
From: Drew Justin Asson
Subject: Re: readtable question - sanity check
On Tue, 2 Mar 1993 18:03:15 GMT, ····@netcom.com (Christopher J. Vogt) said:

>I'm trying to change the readtable in such a way that it ignores certain
>characters, but such that those characters do not start a new token.  I
>just want to be able to read in such a way that certain characters are
>invisible.  As near as I can tell, this cannot be done.  The only solution
>I have is to read in the text, remove the offending characters, and then
>read the text.  Not as efficient as I had hoped.

>I'm I missing something?  Thanks.

	>--
>Christopher J. Vogt ····@netcom.COM
>From: El Eh, CA

One way to have the reader ignore certain characters is to set that
character to ';'.  This way, it treats it as a comment.  Then, you
can just skip over this (using the value returned by read-from-string for
example), and continue reading.  Here's a couple of e.g.s

	Make '_' ignored:
		(set-syntax-from-char #\_ #\;)

	Make ':' ignored:
		(set-syntax-from-char #\: #\;)

Make sure you reset them (i.e. save a copy of the readtable and restore it
after you're done).  An unwind-protect can be useful in these cases.

-- Drew

Drew J. Asson                                ·····@stsci.edu
Advance Planning Systems Group               (410) 338-4474

Space Telescope Science Institute
3700 San Martin Drive
Baltimore, MD 21218