From: Roy M. Turner
Subject: Help!  AKCL and PCL
I am trying to get PCL to work with AKCL (v. 1.615), but with very little
success.  We need it desperately, too, since AKCL is about the only Lisp we
know of that will (possibly) run under our autonomous underwater vehicle's
VxWorks realtime operating system; at least the only one we can possibly get
given our time and money constraints at the moment.

We grabbed the latest AKCL off rascal.ics.utexas.edu and built it just fine
for a SPARC running SunOS 4.  I got march-92-1-pcl-akcl-2.tar.Z off rascal,
and September-16-92-PCL-f.tar.Z off beta.xerox.com.  Following the directions
in the makefile.akcl from the rascal tarfile, I did
	make -f makefile.akcl compile
and the make proceeded till it tried to compile slots.lisp, at which time it
got the following:
  Compiling SLOTS...
  Compiling slots.lisp.
  End of Pass 1.
  End of Pass 2.
  Correctable error: (SYSTEM "(cd . ;gcc -I/tmp_mnt/home/sylph-2/kyoto/akcl/o -static -DVOL=volatile -W  -O -c -I. slots.c -w)") returned a non-zero value -1.
  Signalled by UNLESS.
  If continued: Continues anyway.
  Broken at CERROR.  Type :H for Help.
  PCL>>Bye.

At a loss, I tried loading all the binaries till slot.lisp, then loading all
the sources thereafter in the system definition.  This worked okay till I got
to fixup.lisp, where this happened:

  Error: NIL and 5 are illegal as :START and :END
         for the string "NIL".
  Fast links are on: do (use-fast-links nil) for debugging
  Error signalled by MAKE-INSTANCE.
  Broken at MAKE-INSTANCE.  Type :H for Help.

Do you have any idea what I did wrong, or whether I should use a different
version of PCL, AKCL, or what?

I don't think this is a FAQ, but if it is, please point me to which FAQ file
to look in!

Thanks a lot.

	--Roy
--