From: Nicholas Bennett
Subject: Help with CLX
  I am looking for help concerning CLX and event handling.  I am trying to
write a program which will generate X-style pop-up menus in CLX.  The problem
I am encountering is in being able to drag through the menu with the button
pressed.  The menu I have defined consists of a background window with
a subwindow defined for each item in the menu.  I am using the :enter-notify
and :leave-notify events to keep track of which item the mouse is currently
pointing at.  The selection of an item takes place on a :button-release
event.  This scheme works fine until I press a button and hold it down, at
which point no events are reported to any window except the one I was in when
I pressed the button down.  I'd like to be able to keep track of the :enter-notify and :leave-notify events regardless of whether of not the button is pressed.

  If there's anyone who knows how to do this or anyone with some suggestions
about how I might go about mimicking the X menus in some other way, I'd
appreciate any help you could give me!!

BTW:  Yes, I do REALLY want to do this in CLX and not in CLIO or CLUE or CLIM..

  Thanks in advance,

Nicholas Bennett
········@setosa.uwaterloo.ca

From: Frank Korzeniewski
Subject: Re: Help with CLX
In article <··········@watdragon.uwaterloo.ca> ········@setosa.uwaterloo.ca (Nicholas Bennett) writes:
>  I am looking for help concerning CLX and event handling.  I am trying to
>write a program which will generate X-style pop-up menus in CLX.  The problem
>I am encountering is in being able to drag through the menu with the button
>pressed.  The menu I have defined consists of a background window with
>a subwindow defined for each item in the menu.  I am using the :enter-notify
>and :leave-notify events to keep track of which item the mouse is currently
>pointing at.  The selection of an item takes place on a :button-release
>event.  This scheme works fine until I press a button and hold it down, at
>which point no events are reported to any window except the one I was in when
>I pressed the button down.  I'd like to be able to keep track of the :enter-notify and :leave-notify events regardless of whether of not the button is pressed.
>
>  If there's anyone who knows how to do this or anyone with some suggestions
>about how I might go about mimicking the X menus in some other way, I'd
>appreciate any help you could give me!!
>
>BTW:  Yes, I do REALLY want to do this in CLX and not in CLIO or CLUE or CLIM..
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>
>Nicholas Bennett
>········@setosa.uwaterloo.ca

hi:
  i do this very thing in doing drag/drop.  you need to call
xlib:ungrab-pointer when processing the button press event.  now you will
get all the other events like enter/notify.  when you get the button release
event it will be in the window that the release occurred.

·······@pacbell.com