From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Question: timing functions in Lucid
In article <·················@orca.unh.edu> ···@cs.unh.edu (Roy M. Turner) writes:
>A friend asked me how to find out how long his constraint-satisfaction program
>was taking--i.e., without the garbage collections that may be taking place.  I
>told him I think the "user time" that the time function gives is the time
>without garbage collection, but we couldn't find it stated anywhere in the
>manuals, and it's fairly critical that he know for sure.  Does anyone know if
>that's right?

I don't think any of the built-in timing functions exclude GC time.  I'm
not sure why it should, since that's a legitimate component of the time
taken to run a program.  If the program uses lots of storage and triggers
garbage collection then it's going to be a slower program than one that
doesn't (all other things being equal).

There might be hooks to allow a user function to be run before and after
garbage collection, and you could use these to subtract GC time yourself.
I don't have my manual here, so I can't verify whether this exists.