From: rodrigo vanegas
Subject: Again: The New Lisp Machine
Are there any efforts underway to develop a Lisp Machine subsystem to
work under Mach?

rodrigo vanegas
··@cs.brown.edu

From: Kelly Murray
Subject: Re: Again: The New Lisp Machine
In article <···············@monaco.cs.brown.edu>, ··@cs.brown.edu (rodrigo vanegas) writes:
|> Are there any efforts underway to develop a Lisp Machine subsystem to
|> work under Mach?
|>
|> rodrigo vanegas
|> ··@cs.brown.edu

I have proposed building a Lisp Machine like system, but not as a subsystem of Mach.
It is looking like my project will initially be running under Linux.

-Kelly Murray
From: Bob Laddaga
    Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1993 12:59 EDT
    From: rodrigo vanegas <··@cs.brown.edu>

    Are there any efforts underway to develop a Lisp Machine subsystem to
    work under Mach?

    rodrigo vanegas
    ··@cs.brown.edu
Symbolics is porting Genera to run under OSF/1 on the Digital Alpha AXP
family of workstations.  The product is scheduled to be available this
fall.  OSF/1 is based on an early version of the Mach kernel.
From: Nick Page
> Sender: ····@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu
> Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1993 17:17:29 GMT
>
>     Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1993 12:59 EDT
>     From: rodrigo vanegas <··@cs.brown.edu>
>
>     Are there any efforts underway to develop a Lisp Machine subsystem to
>     work under Mach?
>
>     rodrigo vanegas
>     ··@cs.brown.edu
> Symbolics is porting Genera to run under OSF/1 on the Digital Alpha AXP
> family of workstations.  The product is scheduled to be available this
> fall.  OSF/1 is based on an early version of the Mach kernel.

I used to work for them.  Up until a few months ago I used to follow their
stock symbol, "SMBX" in the Wall Street Journal, but then I heard they
filed for bankruptcy and abruptly they disappeared from the NASDAQ
composite index.  Are they still in business?  Originally, I understand
they were supposed to port Genera to UNIX boxes, but I heard they were
far behind schedule.  What is going on with Symbolics?

I still think they have the best damn software in the world.  I only
wish they realized that years ago when they thought they were a
computer company.

Nick Page
From: Marty Hall
In article <··········@HQ.Ileaf.COM> ····@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Nick Page) writes:
>In article <························@ORANGE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
>·······@stony-brook.scrc.symbolics.com (Bob Laddaga) writes:

>> Symbolics is porting Genera to run under OSF/1 on the Digital Alpha AXP
>> family of workstations.  The product is scheduled to be available this
>> fall.  OSF/1 is based on an early version of the Mach kernel.
>
>I used to work for them.  Up until a few months ago I used to follow their
>stock symbol, "SMBX" in the Wall Street Journal, but then I heard they
>filed for bankruptcy and abruptly they disappeared from the NASDAQ
>composite index.  Are they still in business?  Originally, I understand
>they were supposed to port Genera to UNIX boxes, but I heard they were
>far behind schedule.  What is going on with Symbolics?

They are indeed operating under Chapter 11, but continuing to do
business. We've received an upgraded version of Genera (8.3) and
CLIM 2.0 since they filed. I hear that they are hoping to come out in the
next few months.

My (very limited) understanding of the Genera-on-DEC product is that they
wrote an emulator for Ivory (Symbolics' LISP chip), not a complete software
rewrite. This gets them going much more quickly, but precludes easy
ports to 32-bit machines like SPARC, since you don't have room for
the type tags. The DEC is the only machine I've heard about so far.

						- Marty
(proclaim '(inline skates))