From: Jon Balgley
Subject: Limiting printing of strings
Hi everybody!  I've got a quick question:

Is there a way to limit the number of elements of a string that
get printed out?  In particular, I'm using Lucid and I want its
debugger output to be limited.  It's kind of irritating to wait
for 50K characters to spew by, plus Emacs seems to have some
kind of buffering problem that makes this output especially
slow.

Thanks in advance.

Jon Balgley
········@bbn.com  (Yes, I'm the old "jlb"; I've got a new name now.)
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Limiting printing of strings
In article <············@news.bbn.com> ········@bbn.com (Jon Balgley) writes:
>Is there a way to limit the number of elements of a string that
>get printed out?

The variable *PRINT-LENGTH* limits the number of elements of a list, array,
or structure that are printed, but it doesn't affect printing of strings
(it only affects things that print using list-like syntax, so that the
"..." that replaces excess elements can be recognized).  Symbolics has a
variable *PRINT-STRING-LENGTH* that controls string printing, but it's not
portable.

>		   In particular, I'm using Lucid and I want its
>debugger output to be limited.

In the debugger, *DEBUG-PRINT-LENGTH* is used as the initial value of
*PRINT-LENGTH*.