From: Tano
Subject: AKCL - Austin Kyoto Common Lisp - HELP
Hi everybody,

searching for a Common Lisp implementation on our local SUN-4 i discovered
that there is indeed something : it's called Austin Kyoto Common Lisp and
it's activated entering the command "kcl".

So what's the problem ?

Well, the problem is that there seems to be NO documentation around, at least
on our local SUN pool. Entering the command "kcl" causes the following response:

sulu:~ 99> kcl
AKCL (Austin Kyoto Common Lisp)  Version(1.609) Thu May  7 18:35:52 MET DST 1992
Contains Enhancements by W. Schelter

.. and that's all. I didn't find any further information about the whole thing.

What i'm looking for is NOT a Common Lisp tutorial (there are enough books
around) but some basic information regarding this particular implementation.
Actually i'm able to tamper around a bit .. but without knowing something more
about AKCL it doesn't make much sense.

Could anybody who is in possess of documentation regarding AKCL send it to me
via email ? Or at least let me know some basics .. like "how do a leave AKCL ?"
or "what sort of mechanism is available to store my function definitions ?".

Thank you very much,

	Carsten TANO Braun
	Department of Computer Science
	University of Passau

	Bavaria

From: Tano
Subject: Re: AKCL - Austin Kyoto Common Lisp - HELP
Thank you :)

I got several responses to my request and want to say thanks to all who
helped me, especially to Jim Arnolds who sent me the complete documentation.

	Carsten TANO Braun
From: Jeff Dalton
In article <············@tom.rz.uni-passau.de> ·····@kirk.fmi.uni-passau.de (Tano) writes:

>I got several responses to my request and want to say thanks to all who
>helped me, especially to Jim Arnolds who sent me the complete documentation.

One of the nice things about Common Lisp is that it's possible to
do a lot with an implementation even if you have no documantation
(apart from a testbook or CLtL).  I find this tends to be more
true of Cl than of Scheme, primarily because a number of non-standard
Scheme extensions are standard in CL and because Cl debuggers are
more uniform than Scheme debuggers.

-- jd