From: Jeff Dalton
Subject: Re: Lexical variables vs Dynamic
In article <··········@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> ···@robotics.jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) writes:

>Any chance of bringing up the more restrictive proposal [for declare
>lexical]?

Something like that would be rejected now on procedural grounds.
I'm not sure why it wasn't raised earlier on.  There was some
feeling at the time (~ 89) that there must be a better fallback
than "do nothing", but nothing ever came of it so far as I know.

It was already considered too late for interesting technical
changes by then, I think.  Even though some interesting changes
were made later on, the idea that it was too late tended to
discourage people.  Also, the emphasis then was on allowing
lexical references to globals, and no one had a good backup
proposal ready.

-- jeff