From: Q
Subject: Help wanted with Golden Common Lisp
		I have a copy of Golden Common Lisp which dates from
around 1985. I was wondering if it's compatible with CLtL1? You see I
tried to load some of theose lisp programs from Peter Norvig's book on
AI+CommonLisp. But the load fails while trying to evaluate a macro
library written by norvig. Norvig says that all his code is compatible
with "original" Common Lisp AND ANSI common lisp....so why doesn't it
work with Golden Common Lisp?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks.

--Frank

From: Stefan Bamberger
Subject: Re: Help wanted with Golden Common Lisp
In article <·················@unix1.tcd.ie>, ·······@unix1.tcd.ie (Q)
wrote:

> 		I have a copy of Golden Common Lisp which dates from
> around 1985. I was wondering if it's compatible with CLtL1? You see I
> tried to load some of theose lisp programs from Peter Norvig's book on
> AI+CommonLisp. But the load fails while trying to evaluate a macro
> library written by norvig. Norvig says that all his code is compatible
> with "original" Common Lisp AND ANSI common lisp....so why doesn't it
> work with Golden Common Lisp?
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
> Thanks.
>
> --Frank

As I know, the first Golden Common Lisp Version which implemented the
complete CLtL1 was Version 3.1. I don't know exactely when it was released,
but surely later than 1985!!

BTW, try Allegro PC 1.0. It's faster, cheaper and has a better GUI

-Stefan

Stefan K. Bamberger, University of Wuerzburg, Germany

email: ·····@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
From: Geertjan van Opdorp
I'm not sure wether GCLisp was supposed to be a
complete implementation already in 1985, but
I worked a little bit later with a version
that was very bugy. There were problems with
fractions, and I also remember that when a
lambda expression was funcalled, it changed
into some construct (a closure, I think), so
it was not the original list anymore; no list
at all actually.

Geert-Jan
From: Pete Grant
In article <·················@unix1.tcd.ie> ·······@unix1.tcd.ie (Q) writes:

>		I have a copy of Golden Common Lisp which dates from
>around 1985. I was wondering if it's compatible with CLtL1? You see I
>tried to load some of theose lisp programs from Peter Norvig's book on
>AI+CommonLisp. But the load fails while trying to evaluate a macro
>library written by norvig. Norvig says that all his code is compatible
>with "original" Common Lisp AND ANSI common lisp....so why doesn't it
>work with Golden Common Lisp?

I have GCLISP 1.1 (85-86 vintage) and it definitely is not a complete
implementation of CL.

Pete.