From: Richard Lynch
Subject: format ~A and ~S
While 'they' are putting in hooks for ~R, I know a couple of times I've
wished for hooks for ~A and ~S and a method for over-loading princ and
prin1 so I could have two print-functions for structures, CLOS objects, and
so forth.

-- "TANSTAAFL"  Rich ·····@ils.nwu.edu
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: format ~A and ~S
In article <··················@lynch.ils.nwu.edu> ·····@ils.nwu.edu (Richard Lynch) writes:
>While 'they' are putting in hooks for ~R, I know a couple of times I've
>wished for hooks for ~A and ~S and a method for over-loading princ and
>prin1 so I could have two print-functions for structures, CLOS objects, and
>so forth.

CLtL2 and dpANS CL include hooks into the pretty-printer, as well as the
ability to embed calls to user-defined functions into FORMAT strings.
These should give you quite a bit of power.