From: Bobby Abraham
Subject: 1st Southern African Computer Programming Competition
 #####                           #####
#     #   ####   #    #  #####  #     #   ####   #    #  #####
#        #    #  ##  ##  #    # #        #    #  ##  ##  #    #
#        #    #  # ## #  #    # #        #    #  # ## #  #    #
#        #    #  #    #  #####  #        #    #  #    #  #####
#     #  #    #  #    #  #      #     #  #    #  #    #  #
 #####    ####   #    #  #       #####    ####   #    #  #

                 ###    #####   #####
                 ###   #     # #     #
                  #    #     #       #
                 #      ######  #####
                             #       #
                       #     # #     #
                        #####   #####

This is an updated preliminary announcement for the upcoming computer
programming competition on the 18 March 1993.  This competition is
organised by the Computer Science Department, University of Natal in
Pietermaritzburg.

Who may Enter?

Teams from any Southern African university composed of four students,
provided that each team may contain at most one student studying at higher
than Honours level.  We expect most teams to consist of 3rd year and honours
students.  It is also a requirement that each team has internet access as
questions are sent and solutions received via email.

The Nature of the Competition.

It is hoped that this competition will attract computer science and
business computing students.  For this reason there is no restriction
on the tools used during the competition.  For assesment purposes all
solutions will be required to be executable files for a PC running
MSDOS.  Should some sort of environment be required for running
submitted programs, contact the organisers as we may be prepared to
make some sort of arrangement.  The questions will cover a wide area
with some favouring business computer science students and others
favouring the computer science students.  It is not expected that all
questions will be answered during the allocated six hours.

As soon as a team has solved any of the questions, they will submit
their solution either via email or ftp.  Points will be awarded for
each solution according to the time of submission.  Programs will be
required to match specification exactly.  Any program which does not
will not count.  It will start at 16h00 and no solution will be
accepted after 22h00.

The SIGCSE bulletin, vol 24 No. 2 1992 contains the questions asked
during the 1991 ACM Scholastic Programming Contest Finals.
Participants can expect questions of a similar standard.

What can one win?

Prizes will not be substantial.  We are hoping to be able to
offer a R400 prize to the winning team as an incentive.  However,
we believe that going down in history as participants (let alone
winners) of the first ever CompComp competition should be enough
to get the adrenaline pumping and those programming brains into
gear!

How does one enter?

It is required that each participating university nominate a staff
member to act as coordinator.  Multiple teams may be entered.  Entry
forms or requests for further information can be obtained from the
following email address.

        ········@unpcs1.cs.unp.ac.za
Bobby Abraham
Dept. of Computer Science