From: Bill Birch
Subject: Re: Why Isn't Lisp a Mainstream Language?
··@cs.tut.fi (Kellom{ki Pertti) writes:

>Would it be technically feasible to write a tree shaker for C, and
>apply it to the C files produced by Scheme->C ? I don't recall scc
>doing any sort of tree shaking itself.

It would be nice if there was one for C. As far as I know, most
linkers don't bother to shake the tree of dependencies between
files. If you link a library, usually you get every symbol in the
entire file, even if you only needed one function! The assertion
that C doesn't generate big images is false, precisely because
of this problem.

Bill
--
 Bill Birch             	|	·······@uk03.bull.co.uk
 Bull Info. Sys. Ltd.   	|       Bull Tel: 773 4770