From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: &whole question
In article <·····················@elin.e.kth.se> ·······@e.kth.se (Richard Levitte) writes:
>Seriously, in CLtL2, page 196, I find the following:
>
>&whole	This is followed by a single variable .....
>	... &whole and the following variable should appear first in the
>	lambda-list, before any other parameter or lambda-list keyword.
>
>It is the last sentence I wonder about. Does "should" mean it is an
>if &whole foo is found somewhere else in the lambda-list, Lisp should
>signal an error, or is it OK to place it somewhere else? Or is the &whole
>issue undefined, making funny noises when not first ine line? Is this
>better explained or defined in the dpANS (I don't have it... yet)?

X3J13 realized that the use of "should" was ambiguous.  The dpANS says: "If
\keyref{whole} and a following variable appear, they must appear first in
\param{lambda-list}, before any other parameter or \term{lambda list
keyword}."  This means that the consequences of putting &WHOLE anywhere but
first is undefined, so any results are possible.  An implementation may
accept it, reject it with an error, core dump, make funny noises, etc.