From: John Somerville
Subject: CLISP
A friend of mine FTP'd CLISP for me, but I find it very slow. I am running a
386 without a 387 is that the reason? or is there a secret to configuring
CLISP so it has 1/10th the speed of circa 1985 GCLisp?

regards john
--
john somerville B.C. Hydro
affiliations FIG Forth Interest Group
From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: CLISP
···············@mindlink.bc.ca (John Somerville) writes:
> A friend of mine FTP'd CLISP for me, but I find it very slow. I am running a
> 386 without a 387 is that the reason?

No. The DOS version of CLISP runs on any 386 or 486 with at least 1 megabyte
RAM. You should
- use lisp_1mb.exe if you have only 1 or 2 megabyte RAM, as stated in the
  readme file,
- read the documentation file emx-user.doc and then clean up your config.sys
  and autoexec.bat files: remove ramdisks and other memory hoggers and
  memory "managers".
When run with too few memory available, clisp must swap to disk.

Compiling programs also increases their speed.

                     Bruno Haible
                     ······@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de
                     CLISP maintainer