From: Marty Hall
Subject: "Evolution of Lisp" (Gabriel and Steele)
I have placed the PostScript for Gabriel and Steele's "The Evolution of
Lisp" (1993 ACM History of Programming Languages conf) on ftp.cs.umbc.edu
(130.85.100.53) in /pub/Memoization/Misc/Evolution-of-Lisp.ps.Z.
Like most ACM publications, explicit permission to copy for non-commercial
purposes is given as long as the copyright notice is retained. The copyright
notice is part of the PostScript code.
						- Marty
(proclaim '(inline skates))

From: David Gadbois
Subject: Re: "Evolution of Lisp" (Gabriel and Steele)
In article <··········@aplcenmp.apl.jhu.edu>, Marty Hall <····@aplcenmp.apl.jhu.edu> wrote:

>I have placed the PostScript for Gabriel and Steele's "The Evolution of
>Lisp" (1993 ACM History of Programming Languages conf) [...]

I heartily recommend getting the whole proceedings and reading them.
Fascinating stuff.  Besides Gabriel and Steele's paper, Kay's paper on
Smalltalk and the paper on Ada were particularly good.

Can anyone who went to the conference give a report?

--David Gadbois
From: Marty Hall
·······@cs.utexas.edu (David Gadbois) writes:
> Marty Hall <····@aplcenmp.apl.jhu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>I have placed the PostScript for Gabriel and Steele's "The Evolution of
>>Lisp" (1993 ACM History of Programming Languages conf) [...]
>
>I heartily recommend getting the whole proceedings and reading them.
>Fascinating stuff.  Besides Gabriel and Steele's paper, Kay's paper on
>Smalltalk and the paper on Ada were particularly good.

Other interesting papers: Colmerauer and Roussel have a paper "The Birth
of Prolog", and Stroustrup has a "History of C++" paper, (not that any real
Lisp hacker uses C++ :-). You can order from ACM by calling (800) 342-6626,
ISBN 0-89791-570-4.
				- Marty
From: Denis Girou
>From: ·······@cs.utexas.edu (David Gadbois)
>Subject: Re: "Evolution of Lisp" (Gabriel and Steele)
>
>In article <··········@aplcenmp.apl.jhu.edu>, Marty Hall <····@aplcenmp.apl.jhu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>I have placed the PostScript for Gabriel and Steele's "The Evolution of
>>Lisp" (1993 ACM History of Programming Languages conf) [...]
>
>I heartily recommend getting the whole proceedings and reading them.
>Fascinating stuff.  Besides Gabriel and Steele's paper, Kay's paper on
>Smalltalk and the paper on Ada were particularly good.
>
>Can anyone who went to the conference give a report?
>
>--David Gadbois

  I read the paper of Gabriel and Steele, which is clearly very interesting.
Are they some other papers of this conference on the net? And can you give
the precise reference of the proceedings for foreign people?

  Thanks.

  Denis

Institut du De'veloppement et des Ressources en Informatique Scientifique |
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique                              |
Batiment 506 - B.P. 167 - 91403 Orsay Cedex - France                      |
Messagerie : ···········@idris.fr - Tel. : 33. 1. 69.82.41.52             |