From: Clint Hyde -- Master of the ad hoc odd hack.
Subject: SGML and Lisp
I understand this got discussed a few months ago, but that would have
been when I was between employers... :)

and apologies to those on certain mailing lists who've already seen the
query...

I need to have an SGML (and possibly HTML) parser/interpreter and viewer
sometime in the next few/6 months.

I wonder if anyone has written such a thing or pieces of such a thing,
and would be willing/able to give-it-away or sell it.

I've got some chunk of Elisp code, which purports to do some of this
job, and brought me to the interesting idea of just using emacs as the
doc-viewer/editor (with obviously attractive features already built-in,
and obviously DEtractive features built-in too).  unfortunately, I don't
think this is a win for my project (visual reasons, mostly, but I could
be wrong about them), although it'd be damn nice if it could.

my intention was/is to have a viewing/editing tool that will read SGML
document files (either from the project database, or disk), and then
display them in an editor/viewer of some sort (CLIM, in particular,
although that might not be the first version--I'd probably do it on my
Explorer first).

I need to be able to have hyperlinks in the documents, either
pre-existing or inserted by the user, which suggests the HTML aspect.

so far, responses from the mailing lists query have been interesting, to
the effect of

1. "I'd like one too"
2. "there's this elisp code"
3. "apparently so-and-so wrote one but won't let it go"
4. "I'd be willing to help write one"

since I missed the earlier discussion, I apologize for bringing it up
again, but life's like that.

I've looked at a couple of ftp sites, and this whole thing has blossomed
into a "drinking from a fire hydrant" situation.

 -- clint

·····@bbn.com