From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: Experiences with Allegro CL/PC
[Excuse me for some bad english]

Hello. I wonder if someone of could give me an impression how
usable Allegro/CL for PCs is.

I am mostly interested in comparison to UNIX-based Lisps. Can I manage
30-MB-Arrays in CL for PCs as easy as I can under UNIX ? Does it
require any tricks to word around segmentation problems? What happens
if the system begins to swap, is it still usable and reliable ?

How good is the integration with MS-Windows? Can one use the full set
of interprocess communications under Windows> And is a binding to a
Socket-Library available, so that I could talk to a UNIX-Based Server?

Of course, bug reports and random aspects are welcome.

Thanks
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer <········@wavehh.hanse.de>,Voice+4940-5221829,Fax.-5228536

From: Jim Carden
Subject: Re: Experiences with Allegro CL/PC
[Posted for Patrick Logan, ····@goldfish.mitron.tek.com]

My answers below are educated guesses. I am not yet an owner of
Allegro CL/PC, but I will be soon. Franz has a 50% off sale until
September 30. This puts ACL/PC in the same price range as Digitalk
Smalltalk/Windows, but much more features and performance. And like
Digitalk, provides royalty-free application delivery, something
Lisps have needed for a long time.

    In article <·····················@wavehh.hanse.de> ········@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer) writes:
    >[Excuse me for some bad english]
    >
    >Hello. I wonder if someone of could give me an impression how
    >usable Allegro/CL for PCs is.
    >
    >I am mostly interested in comparison to UNIX-based Lisps. Can I manage
    >30-MB-Arrays in CL for PCs as easy as I can under UNIX ? Does it
    >require any tricks to word around segmentation problems? What happens
    >if the system begins to swap, is it still usable and reliable ?

30 MB arrays should be possible. Segmentation should not come into play
since ACL/PC is a 32-bit virtual memory, flat address space, application.

Paging performance will depend on the particular PC's architecture. ACL/PC
is supposed to be fairly tight so a reasonable amount of RAM should prevent
too much paging. 4 MB minimum, 8 MB recommended for development. Of course
a 30 MB array could benefit from a lot more RAM than that!

    >How good is the integration with MS-Windows? Can one use the full set
    >of interprocess communications under Windows> And is a binding to a
    >Socket-Library available, so that I could talk to a UNIX-Based Server?

This isn't entirely clear from the literature. It does say ACL/PC can
access C and Fortran DLLs, and it hints that the entire Windows API is
available. It has a higher-level interface builder to get the basic
Windows look-and-feel.

At $500 and 60-day return policy, it's what I've been looking for. Your
mileage may vary.
--
····@goldfish.mitron.tek.com
From: Mike McDonald
In article <····@tekgen.bv.tek.com>, ····@tekcae.cax.tek.com (Jim Carden) writes:
|> [Posted for Patrick Logan, ····@goldfish.mitron.tek.com]
|>
|> My answers below are educated guesses. I am not yet an owner of
|> Allegro CL/PC, but I will be soon. Franz has a 50% off sale until
|> September 30. This puts ACL/PC in the same price range as Digitalk
|> Smalltalk/Windows, but much more features and performance. And like
|> Digitalk, provides royalty-free application delivery, something
|> Lisps have needed for a long time.

  Boy, I'm bumbed! I bought my copy in Feb. when it was only $50 off. I wonder if
I can get a refund?

|>     In article <·····················@wavehh.hanse.de> ········@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer) writes:
|>     >[Excuse me for some bad english]
|>     >
|>     >Hello. I wonder if someone of could give me an impression how
|>     >usable Allegro/CL for PCs is.
|>     >
|>     >I am mostly interested in comparison to UNIX-based Lisps. Can I manage
|>     >30-MB-Arrays in CL for PCs as easy as I can under UNIX ? Does it
|>     >require any tricks to word around segmentation problems? What happens
|>     >if the system begins to swap, is it still usable and reliable ?
|>
|> 30 MB arrays should be possible. Segmentation should not come into play
|> since ACL/PC is a 32-bit virtual memory, flat address space, application.
|>
|> Paging performance will depend on the particular PC's architecture. ACL/PC
|> is supposed to be fairly tight so a reasonable amount of RAM should prevent
|> too much paging. 4 MB minimum, 8 MB recommended for development. Of course
|> a 30 MB array could benefit from a lot more RAM than that!

  I haven't beaten on it with any large application but for the smaller things
that I've done, the performance was pleasantly good.

|>     >How good is the integration with MS-Windows? Can one use the full set
|>     >of interprocess communications under Windows> And is a binding to a
|>     >Socket-Library available, so that I could talk to a UNIX-Based Server?
|>
|> This isn't entirely clear from the literature. It does say ACL/PC can
|> access C and Fortran DLLs, and it hints that the entire Windows API is
|> available. It has a higher-level interface builder to get the basic
|> Windows look-and-feel.
|>
|> At $500 and 60-day return policy, it's what I've been looking for. Your
|> mileage may vary.
|> --
|> ····@goldfish.mitron.tek.com

  The Windows interface is some completely different interface from everything
else you're used to. It's not the Windows API nor CLIM nor their Composer stuff.
It's usable but different.

  The debugger takes some getting use to. Like figuring out how to get a detailed
stack trace back.

  The biggest complaint I have about ACL/PC is the editor absolutely SUCKS!!!!!
The psuedo emacs mode is impossible to use by someone who already knows emacs.
All the key bindings are hosed. The other option for the editor is DOS EDIT mode.
I can say how well it compares to the real thing since I avoid EDIT.

  Mike McDonald				Advanced Technology Dept.
					Harris Corp.
  Email: ···@trantor.harris-atd.com	M.S. 16-1912
  Voice: (407) 727-5060			P.O. Box 37
  Fax:   (407) 729-3363			Melbourne, Florida 32902